Ninjas > Pirates

SpangeMonkee said:
I'm sure the police were the ones that called the ATF. No one thinks, "Wow! that guy looks suspicious. Maybe I should call the ATF. Where's that number?"
The number is actually on the bulliten board next to me... That's beside the point apparently they just happened to walk by and see it:

The agents were on campus for Project Safe Neighborhoods, a training program they put on for state and local law enforcement. Tuesday’s program was hosted by University police.

Just FYI, they have no jurisdiction so it's about the equivalent of your avergage dude seeing someone suspiscious, pulling a gun and holding him down. Hate to broadly paint one agency but every ATF agent I've ever talked to on the phone has been a general all around asshole on a power trip. I mean, these are the same people that say possesing a shoestring made after 1981 and a gun constitutes intent to manufacture and distribute a machine gun. [/rant]

what's funny is that until 2002 the BATFE (BATF then) was nothing more than a tax collection agency under the purview of the Treasury Department

FlyNavy said:
what's funny is that until 2002 the BATFE (BATF then) was nothing more than a tax collection agency under the purview of the Treasury Department

in 93 they stoped by waco to collect taxes?

I.C.Water said:
in 93 they stoped by waco to collect taxes?
Enforce tax collection. Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are technically regulated on interstate commerce laws so there are taxes you pay to transfer or use those items. The agency only derives it's power from the enforcement of collection on those taxes.

although in '02 it was split and the enforcement side, the side that conducts no-knock "dynamic entry", is now under Homeland Security...the department created to protect us from terrorism has under its' control the government agency tasked with identifying all the legal gun owners in the country

iron knee