Ontopic NHL 2011/12 Season has started

it's the atlanta spirit, LLC. a bunch of clueless investors. I have some buddies that work for them because both teams used to belong to my company and they left when we sold the teams to atlanta spirit.

I feel you man. In Tampa it was the same way. It wasn't until the Rays and the Lightning were sold to real owners that they started to do something positive.

hell, the Ottawa franchise bounced paychecks to it's players under the old ownership. our current owner is a billionaire who loves hockey and doesn't care to lose money on it, it's great

I wish ted had stepped in and saved the team for the city. they were his creation originally after all. guess he's too old to screw with it anymore. :(

I wish ted had stepped in and saved the team for the city. they were his creation originally after all. guess he's too old to screw with it anymore. :(

Honestly though most of the warm weather hockey cities have been failures. Tampa was on the brink prior to having the new owner. We saw what happened to Dallas and Carolina is good because there isn't anything else to choose from.

Honestly though most of the warm weather hockey cities have been failures. Tampa was on the brink prior to having the new owner. We saw what happened to Dallas and Carolina is good because there isn't anything else to choose from.

Having Stevie Y as GM in Tampa will be what keeps that team good for many years to come.

Somehow the no-name Stars are goind really, really well. I have no fucking idea how they are doing it.

The AVS keep trying to get Roy onboard here in some capacity. If they were able to get him and Forsberg in the system it would be a huge huge plus.

Exactly and having a hockey guy as an owner not just some owner group.

our owner usually hangs out in the barbados, and pays literally thousands of dollars for satellite feeds for the junior hockey team he owns, per game, pretty damn cool.

also, the first year he bought the Sens he put on a free concert for ticket package owners (as little as four game pack) with the Eagles, because that's his wife's favourite band.

So yeah. About the realignment.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=604852

The NHL has abandoned the two conference, six division setup in favor of a 4 conference setup based entirely on geographic location. Two of the new conferences have 8 teams each and two have 7 teams each.

The makeup of the yet-to-be-named four conferences is as follows:

* New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Washington and Carolina

* Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida and Tampa Bay

* Detroit, Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas and Winnipeg

* Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado

Finally, an NHL that makes some godd*mn sense.

Last edited:
They should swap Boston with Carolina.

EDIT: Scratch that. They should swap the two New York teams with Florida and Tampa.

Boston is up north, so it will be cheaper for them to fly to inter-conference road games within that conference.

They should swap Boston with Carolina.

EDIT: Scratch that. They should swap the two New York teams with Florida and Tampa.

exactly, why the fuck should Ottawa/Toronto/Montreal have to fly to Florida that much. It's a long friggin flight.

The other thing I like is that next year, it goes back to playing each team twice, once home and once away, instead of the alternating system they have now.

I agree about the New Yorks. Odd making the Canadians fly to South America so often.

winners_and_losers_in_the_nhls_new_conference_realignment.png