New Vestax protype at the 2006 DJ Expo!

R

Ringmaster Darin

Hey guys I just wanted to let you guys know that Kos was at the 2006 DJ Epxo in Atlatic City and was showcasing the latest prototype from Vestax. This latest piece from Vestax will allow the dj to truly be a rock star. It will come with a 40 foot cord that will connect to a cd player box that will set on the floor and then the cord will connect to the S-1 Stage Controller. From what Kos has told me this piece will be a custom made piece for dj's. Kos will also be the U.S. spokesperson for this new and amazing piece from Vestax. As you can see from the pics, Kos still uses the QFO and even has a custom made guitar strap for it to scratch on it sideways. There are lots of pictures you can check out at the link below. Let me know what you guys think! :)

http://www.myspace.com/djkos1200

Now THAT is some bling, dawg.

1016040666_l.jpg

wtf? how the hell does that thing work? How does the needle not slide off the platter? Connect's to a CD player box? So is he playing wax on the turntable or does the table emulate from the CD feed?

Geez, looks really cumbersome and prone to skipping. What wrong with just slapping a couple 1200's on a table and going to town :D

bast_imret said:
wtf? how the hell does that thing work? How does the needle not slide off the platter? Connect's to a CD player box? So is he playing wax on the turntable or does the table emulate from the CD feed?

Geez, looks really cumbersome and prone to skipping. What wrong with just slapping a couple 1200's on a table and going to town :D

people mocked the portable keyboard in the 80's and you saw how those took off :fly:

meetdoc.jpg

yes, but that doesn't have moving parts, aside from the small travel of the keys. I just don't see how that turntable is comfortable or convenient to play in that fashion.

The QFO was designed by DJ QBert and was designed as a scratching tool that he could just sit down with and cut. It uses records. The special tone arm allows the needle to stay on even at extreme angles.

Now the S-1 Stage Controller (the prototype) uses a cd in the cd player box on the floor and has a 40 foot interface cord that attached to the box and then to the back of the S-1 Controller. You then can scratch and manipulate the cd with the controller. This piece is not going to be mass produced from what Kos says. It will be by special order only and is for a dj who wants something different and to be mobile if they want. I know it seems crazy but it works real well for a dj like Kos. ;)

bast_imret said:
yes, but that doesn't have moving parts, aside from the small travel of the keys. I just don't see how that turntable is comfortable or convenient to play in that fashion.

Hmmm...I was actually sarcastically agreeing with you. Damn this thing called the intarweb and it's difficulty to imply sarcasam.

Probably I just suck at it :eek:

This is the S-1 Stage Controller prototype. Its a totally different piece than the QFO. It would be truly mobile and would never skip. The neck on it actually turns around so it can be adjusted to fit the dj from what Kos told me.
The QFO can skip because its still a turntable and uses records. But here is a picture of the S-1 Controller prototype.

koswiththes1controllesmallpm8.jpg

stage1controllerov2.jpg

Interesting. So I guess it's a way for the DJ to be in the front line with the guitarists and such in a band, or rock out solo style, instead of way in the back behind a table.

Does qbert or Kos have any vids up of the unit(s) in action?

Yes Qbert does hook up an Ipod to his QFO for live shows. It has all his beats on there and then he cuts over them. :)

You can do scratches with mp3s. and even mess with them with a record. I have a friend who djs and has a soundgraph or soundstage or something, I forget its name but it has inputs for two turntables. the records it comes with just has a sound that the software understands so the scratches and cuts work out for the mp3s

Oh and frankly around here I haven't seen a DJ who uses exclusively records in forever.

Ryokurin said:
You can do scratches with mp3s. and even mess with them with a record. I have a friend who djs and has a soundgraph or soundstage or something, I forget its name but it has inputs for two turntables. the records it comes with just has a sound that the software understands so the scratches and cuts work out for the mp3s

Oh and frankly around here I haven't seen a DJ who uses exclusively records in forever.

I used to have Final Scratch but it's prone to crashing. I think PCDJ FX or something does this as well as Rane's Serato Scratch Live. The records are time coded and fed through a hub and software files mp3s on the left and right. It's convenient if you walk into it already set up.

Yea, I was gonna say, what Ryo was describing sounds like Final Scratch.

I dunno, I guess it's convinient to have a ton of songs on an ipod, or a book of CD's. But for me, it's just not the same as slappin some wax on a turntable and mixing it down. Makes me sadpanda when I see a DJ onstage with CD units :( Though those new Technics are fucking :drool:

technicscd.jpg

bast_imret said:
Yea, I was gonna say, what Ryo was describing sounds like Final Scratch.

I dunno, I guess it's convinient to have a ton of songs on an ipod, or a book of CD's. But for me, it's just not the same as slappin some wax on a turntable and mixing it down. Makes me sadpanda when I see a DJ onstage with CD units :( Though those new Technics are fucking :drool:

technicscd.jpg
ya that's hot