New Pope

KNYTE said:
But he didn't shun it either.

Says he deserted (punishable by death)

I guess, if someone is pope material, I would expect more. Ya know, like he single handedly destroyed an entire battalion of armored panzers without killing a single soldier. Or he kicked hitlers ass in a game of mah jong or something.

bast_imret said:
meh, Hitler Youth was like the German Boyscouts of that timeperiod. I wouldn't hold it against him when he later deserted the army.
I don't think people realize the "required by law" part.

smileynev said:
Says he deserted (punishable by death)

I guess, if someone is pope material, I would expect more. Ya know, like he single handedly destroyed an entire battalion of armored panzers without killing a single soldier. Or he kicked hitlers ass in a game of mah jong or something.

Ever see the SNL from about 10 years ago where George Foreman goes back to the 40's and boxes Hitler? Hiliarious.

"I Adolf Hitler am zee greatest heavy-weight boxer in history. Zere is no one on zee planet who could best me in zee ring." (played by Mike Myers by the way)

78? So we're going to be going through all this melodrama in a few more years? Can't wait.

The whole concept of the pope confuses me. I don't get why Catholics get so upset and excited over this stuff. Wailing? Crying? Cheering? Huh? Why don't they just pray to God and eliminate all of the extraneous stuff like popes, saints, dangly smoking ball-things, gold-plated everything, etc. Such an odd little religion.

Millions said:
Well isn't this pope supposed to die pretty quickly or something? And then supposedly the next pope is the anti-christ or signals the end of the world or some shit.

I saw it. On Discovery. Right after American Chopper. It MUST be true.
Hell, I think it was Paul Sr. that said it...

Sarcasmo said:
78? So we're going to be going through all this melodrama in a few more years? Can't wait.

The whole concept of the pope confuses me. I don't get why Catholics get so upset and excited over this stuff. Wailing? Crying? Cheering? Huh? Why don't they just pray to God and eliminate all of the extraneous stuff like popes, saints, dangly smoking ball-things, gold-plated everything, etc. Such an odd little religion.

It's one of the problems I have with the Catholic church.

Sarcasmo said:

I know the "dangly smoking ball" is incense and its burned to cover up the smell of the stinking masses. No joke.

theacoustician said:
I know the "dangly smoking ball" is incense and its burned to cover up the smell of the stinking masses. No joke.

As a Lutheran I know we have a few things left over from when we were still Catholics, but they include only hymns, gestures, and a couple vaguely similar robes. All of that other pointless symbolism was left by the side of the road, thank God. I would say 98% of the time I'm greatly offended by the Catholic church.

But for the record I've been to St. Peters, the Sistine chapel and all of that and I must admit it was all rather impressive. If I were God I wouldn't have a total hard-on, but I might be at half-mast.

Sarcasmo said:
As a Lutheran I know we have a few things left over from when we were still Catholics, but they include only hymns, gestures, and a couple vaguely similar robes. All of that other pointless symbolism was left by the side of the road, thank God. I would say 98% of the time I'm greatly offended by the Catholic church.
If only we could go back to burning non believers.

Desslock said:
It was called American Pope.

Yeah it even had the cheesey, scripted dialog too.

ON THIS EPISODE OF AMERICAN POPE! Tempers flair! Tensions and Jesus rise!

"You know, my heavenly father he just doesn't understand that this church is my vision, and I won't compromise just cause he throws his size 12s around."

Millions said:
Yeah it even had the cheesey, scripted dialog too.

ON THIS EPISODE OF AMERICAN POPE! Tempers flair! Tensions and Jesus rise!

"You know, my heavenly father he just doesn't understand that this church is my vision, and I won't compromise just cause he throws his size 12s around."

Or the American Hotrod version:

Some un-charismatic wussy-man stands in front of the camera, describes what he is doing on the for the pope today with no vibrance or intrigue, then shuffles off to another corner of the church to pray. The camera switches to some jackass in a ball cap and Hawaiin shirt and shorts (regardless of what time of the year it is, or the fact that it's in the Vatican City), who bitches about deadlines that do not really exist, then slams the door to his office to try to simulate tension.