New House A/V Wiring...

S

smileynev

futurehouse1.jpg

futurehouse2.jpg

I would like to put speakers in both the kitchen and living room as well as the master bath and main bath upstairs. All of the unfinished areas on the right side of the first diagram can be added to later, so I'm not worried about them.

Each speaker group needs volume control from each room, source control isn't necessary. And they all can be considered the same zone, at least at this time. I would like all speakers to be ceiling speakers, too.

What would be the best location in each room for the speakers? Any recommendations on brands for the speakers and the volume controls? Mind you I'm thinking of playing holiday/mood music, so nothing fancy is necessary. Are the single unit stereo speakers okay for areas like the bathrooms?

For my other runs, I'm thinking about running single Cat5/coax runs to the living room, kitchen, and two bedrooms upstairs. I haven't decided yet on whether I want to run additional runs to the master bedroom for more features.

Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

ChikkenNoodul said:
JBL speakers have been nice to me for my whole house stereo, I have cieling mounted in the kitchen and wall mounted in the MBR and dining room. The dual-coil speaker is GREAT for the bathroom, real nice sound from that one.

Also think about outdoor all-weather speakers for the deck, we had them up before the deck was built.
ahh, so we'll probably do the dual coils in the bathrooms. I'm thinking of actually tying in the one bathroom the kids will use to a separate audio source located somewhere on the second floor.

ChikkenNoodul said:
That's probably a good idea, they'll love it when they get older.
I don't need to be listening to their rock and roll music when I could be listening to old classics like Vanilla Ice and Backstreet.

good luck with your project.

if you're looking for wiring, i know monster makes a really nice speaker wire with an extra tough jacket on it. that's what my dad ran in their old house.

CletusJones said:

if you're looking for wiring, i know monster makes a really nice speaker wire with an extra tough jacket on it. that's what my dad ran in their old house.

:fly:

CletusJones said:

I'll probably just buy that locally at Home Depot or something. The speakers and controls, on the other hand, I may buy online

long tall smiley said:
I'll probably just buy that locally at Home Depot or something. The speakers and controls, on the other hand, I may buy online
i know the HD by me stocks all the plates and mouting hardware

CletusJones said:

20021125l.gif

:p

CletusJones said:
i know the HD by me stocks all the plates and mouting hardware
I'll probably go Leviton this time. In the current house I used some other brand, and they suck.

long tall smiley said:
I'll probably go Leviton this time. In the current house I used some other brand, and they suck.
they make some good stuff.

i know my dad did half of the house with square d and the other half with leviton. the square d stuff mounted to the walls better and was just in general easier to work with, but they were both nice.