Ontopic New Car Thread!

Finally did the brakes on the wife's car. New pads, machined rotors, cleaned up the boots on the slide pins, and regreased everything with silglyde.

Then I did a bunch of 50-20 hard braking stops to bed the pads in. I may have overdone that one, because there was quite a bit of smoke at the end.

And then I washed the truck

k3rCc9u.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Come with me, and you'll be
in a world of OSHA violations...

20200112_135013_HDR.jpg

Helped a friend with his FIL's truck today, and his trans jack broke.

So we used a scissor jack on the front of it, and a floor jack against a crossmember and the tailshaft on the back.

I'm honestly surprised that I didn't die.

When you have a second, please divulge where the fuse box was. I couldn’t find shit while Googling, which I had no reason to do but

I got nothin
Main fuses are under hood next to the air cleaner, fuse box cover I was complaining about is for the interior shit and lights, that is about 7 o'clock from the steering wheel (in the pic, probably more like 8)

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
#1 cylinder on the truck keeps burning out spark plugs and throwing a misfire about every 6 months. All others are fine and have been for 2-3 years. Change #1 and it's good for another ~6 months.
Doesn't matter OEM, high dollar iridium, or bargain basement autolite, does the same thing in the same amount of time.
Swapped the injector with the one next to it to see if the problem follows. Maybe it's not getting a good mist/clean burn.
Troubleshooting that takes 6 fucking months to find out if whatever you did makes any difference, lovely.

#1 cylinder on the truck keeps burning out spark plugs and throwing a misfire about every 6 months. All others are fine and have been for 2-3 years. Change #1 and it's good for another ~6 months.
Doesn't matter OEM, high dollar iridium, or bargain basement autolite, does the same thing in the same amount of time.
Swapped the injector with the one next to it to see if the problem follows. Maybe it's not getting a good mist/clean burn.
Troubleshooting that takes 6 fucking months to find out if whatever you did makes any difference, lovely.
What's it doing to the plug?

1826285762_c2720b789e_b.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
I just stuck another plug in there (one from my old Taurus, same plug/part #). Runs great. It's a bandaid not a fix. But the wife can take it to the inspection guy wearing something low-cut and all will be well for another year. That buys me another year to figure out what's really going on.
Sometimes boobs hold things together better than bolts do.

Burned carbon but not oil burn.

Looks most like the "oil deposits" picture but without the burned oil/buildup.

It's why I was thinking crappy injector or something not giving a clean burn.
Too much fuel in that cylinder, or oil leak into that cylinder from an intake valve seal or something.

No need to wait the full 6 months. Pull the plugs in a month and see if it follows the injector or stays on the same cylinder.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Too much fuel in that cylinder, or oil leak into that cylinder from an intake valve seal or something.

No need to wait the full 6 months. Pull the plugs in a month and see if it follows the injector or stays on the same cylinder.

Good advice.

Seeing it's got a 5 speed manual and a clutch, I might as well move my riding mower adventure here.

Neighbor told me today that the mower burns oil pretty bad, like there's a blue trail following the mower around... great.

Got into it proper today. The thing's filled to probably twice its oil capacity. It's pissing oil out the breather into the intake, and leaking more oil out the sides of the breather, and it's leaking out of the dipstick tube. Pulled the flywheel/alternator off the top and had a look at the top oil seal, that one's fine. The bottom of the engine has lots of oil on it, hopefully just stuff leaking from above.

I'm gonna start by just cleaning the engine up, getting the breather and intake cleared out, putting fresh oil and gas in it and seeing what happens. At least turning the thing over by hand, it feels like it's got compression and doesn't have any slop in it that I can feel.

Frame and body are in amazing shape, other than everything being covered in oil. Also, the previous owner had the deck repaired by a welding shop... and they did a really good job. They cut out sections, welded in new sections, ground the welds flat and painted it. You can see the work that was done through the paint but it's not all that obvious.

The tinted headlight was because the previous owner broke one, so he bought a tinted one off someone who had their mower pimped out for lawnmower racing. There's a lot of local lawnmower racing enthusiasts out here...