Ontopic New Car Thread!

• Haha
Reactions: Immigrant
An acquaintance of mine recently claimed blue cars with white stripes are the fastest & I maintain red cars are fastest. What say yew boys?

Red cars used to be involved in more accidents and received more speeding tickets than other cars, but nobody gets tickets anymore like they fuckin should.

the hot deal I'm getting today is the tires I'm getting later are buy 3 get 1 free, but I only "lucked" into that deal bc one of my tires has The Flat Spot™ which is stupid because I don't store it & I haven't locked the brakes or slid, so idk where tf it came from.
update: it was not The Flat Spot™, it was broken belts in the tire 🙃 but I have new tires now. was warned about the stock camber being dumb/tilty and how that will chew through my tires quicker, but I didn't do anything about it yet bc I'm smart enough not to get anything done by myself lol

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
And headlights are optional, especially in the rain and with minimal daylight.
fuck me running, I encounter these idiots everywhere. WI in general has a lot of flat space where the glaciers ground everything down, and in my area in particular there's a lot of flat fields around roads that make it extra foggy, and STILL these ding dongs need to pull out in front of me or turn directly in front of me with their fog-colored cars and headlights off.

, but I didn't do anything about it yet bc I'm smart enough not to get anything done by myself lol
You're saying you don't trust the mechanics?

An alignment is an easy thing to verify. Tell them to show you what is off, they should take you back and show you a screen that looks like this:
All those adjustable suspension goodies pay off:
View attachment 10164
See how everything is green here? If the alignment is off, something(s) will be in red. Then you take a pic of that screen and tell them to fix it. Hour, hour and a half later you get shown another screen. Hopefully this one will be all in green. If not, look at the pic from earlier and ask WTF.

I always recommended that customers get their alignment checked every year. May not need it every year, but a check is usually free.

You're saying you don't trust the mechanics?

An alignment is an easy thing to verify. Tell them to show you what is off, they should take you back and show you a screen that looks like this:

See how everything is green here? If the alignment is off, something(s) will be in red. Then you take a pic of that screen and tell them to fix it. Hour, hour and a half later you get shown another screen. Hopefully this one will be all in green. If not, look at the pic from earlier and ask WTF.

I always recommended that customers get their alignment checked every year. May not need it every year, but a check is usually free.
I trust the mechanics (though it was just at a tire shop I've never been to before & I've had bad experiences with shady places trying to talk me into stuff I don't need so there's always a base level of mistrust). I got an alignment chart, i don't dispute the camber; they gave me 2 options for fixing the camber issue, and I wasn't sure which to plan on. there is apparently a kit with bolts that can fix it, which is cheaper, or I can change the shocks/struts which my car is overdue for mileage-wise (where it isn't broken yet but based on mileage will probably go bad soon-ish) but is significantly more expensive.

please note: idk if I typed that right, it was written down for me on a lil sheet but I don't have that right now

I trust the mechanics (though it was just at a tire shop I've never been to before & I've had bad experiences with shady places trying to talk me into stuff I don't need so there's always a base level of mistrust). I got an alignment chart, i don't dispute the camber; they gave me 2 options for fixing the camber issue, and I wasn't sure which to plan on. there is apparently a kit with bolts that can fix it, which is cheaper, or I can change the shocks/struts which my car is overdue for mileage-wise (where it isn't broken yet but based on mileage will probably go bad soon-ish) but is significantly more expensive.

please note: idk if I typed that right, it was written down for me on a lil sheet but I don't have that right now

You're right in being skeptical. Let's face it, sometimes girls at mechanics shops are still seen as easier target for upselling/bullshitting.

That said follow Asa's advice. They should easily be able to show you, in a clear and easy to understand way, what's wrong, where, and why.

If your struts are that shot they will wear out the new tires faster. Can also throw alignment off. They'll still wear out the tires faster even if the alignment is on.

Old school check is to jump on the bumper. Car should go down, come back up, and that's it. "Maybe" a tiny little fraction of a second movement to settle in the right spot if you really bounced it good.
Should have to really work at it to keep it bouncing.

Speed bumps should feel immediate and solid. If the car has kind of a delayed reaction to the bump and/or goes up and down a couple times after the bump they're shot.

Found a sweet deal through AutoZone this morning. They sell AUS fuel injectors, and through AutoZone, I got a set of 6 1200cc/min fuel injectors for the Z. Everywhere else on the internet, they're $630+. With their "ship to home" coupon code (20% per $100), I got them for $503 to my door.

That should take care of my "running out of injector on >50% ethanol blends" problem.

Got the Snowblower apart enough to get a proper look at the carb.

Ordered a set of crush washers and new rubber gaskets for the bowl. And picked up a new carb for it for $25 to have on the shelf.

If that's not it, It's getting rolled down the hill out back.

And I'm going to see if there's a spot to add a fuel shutoff valve and a fuel filter to it.

I want to get a new headunit.

I'd like something that has bluetooth built in, and I've already got a JVC in there, so it should be easy to swap in a new JVC. Maybe something like this? Anyone got any comments or suggestions?
Amazon product ASIN B07NWMPR2V

If the harness is the exact same between the two, yeah, the would be easy.

Got the Snowblower apart enough to get a proper look at the carb.

Ordered a set of crush washers and new rubber gaskets for the bowl. And picked up a new carb for it for $25 to have on the shelf.

If that's not it, It's getting rolled down the hill out back.

And I'm going to see if there's a spot to add a fuel shutoff valve and a fuel filter to it.
Try shoveling, you need the exercise & you would save your poor wife some $$ for once

• Love
Reactions: HipHugHer
If the old and new radios have the same connector and pinout (which you should be able to discern from the wiring colors) then it'll be an easy swap.

If the connectors are different... if you're using a harness kit that plugs into the factory radio harness and adapts it to the existing stereo harness, you can pull the thing out of the truck, hack off the old stereo harness, splice on the new one and you're good to go.

If the OEM stereo connector was cut off the truck's factory harness and the old JVC one spliced on, it'll be a pain in the dick because you'll be working in the cab vs working on a bench.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
I want to get a new headunit.

I'd like something that has bluetooth built in, and I've already got a JVC in there, so it should be easy to swap in a new JVC. Maybe something like this? Anyone got any comments or suggestions?
Amazon product ASIN B07NWMPR2V

Here's the backside of that radio. IDK if older JVCs used the same plug, but I know it's substantially different than the one on my Kenwood and my Alpines (which interchange).
g105KDX560B-o_other1.jpg