Ontopic New Car Thread!

Sachs always ships with an alignment tool, throw out bearing and pilot bushing. You're going to need a blind hole puller to get the old pilot bushing out, or a stepped grease fitting to pop it out. I once did the job on my Z with white bread and a 1/2" wood dowel.

Be prepared to resurface the flywheel too, because if the clutch had been slipping for a while, it's probably nice and heat-checked.

Never pulled a transverse trans, so good luck there.
Toyota C59 transmission doesn't use a pilot bearing.

Clutch doesn't slip, it's just the throwout bearing that's fucked. Goes from chirping like a bag of crickets when my foot's off the clutch, through an assortment of grinding/groaning/howling sounds when I'm pushing the clutch down. It's a known issue with the car, googling "corolla throwout bearing" gives plenty of angry people on forums and whatever. Toyota Canada extended the warranty on the throwout bearing to the full powertrain warranty, but that's expired on the car.

Went with a LuK clutch vs a Sachs clutch, to get all my rockauto crap coming from the same warehouse, looks like it comes with an alignment tool. I didn't order a flywheel but if it comes to it I'll order one or get the one on the car resurfaced.

Luk comes with the tool too, just once in awhile they seem to disappear.
I always look in the box before I leave the store.

God damnit! The wife always backs into the garage. Well, last Friday she did it with her trunk open - being nice and bringing the garbage cans up from the curb 250' feet away.. And she had a dumbz moment and didn't wait for the garage door to go all the way up. I was lucky - the garage door didn't get fucked(amazingly) since she stopped in time. Her trunk lid was kinda jacked on the hinges. Fucked with it for probably 2 hours, including climbing into the trunk via the folded down backseat(Chrapstler 200). The lid was a bit pinged in from the hinges being jacked in the original offense - again, luck was with me, it all sprung back once I untightened the hinges from it. Works like the accident never happened. IJNA

God damnit! The wife always backs into the garage. Well, last Friday she did it with her trunk open - being nice and bringing the garbage cans up from the curb 250' feet away.. And she had a dumbz moment and didn't wait for the garage door to go all the way up. I was lucky - the garage door didn't get fucked(amazingly) since she stopped in time. Her trunk lid was kinda jacked on the hinges. Fucked with it for probably 2 hours, including climbing into the trunk via the folded down backseat(Chrapstler 200). The lid was a bit pinged in from the hinges being jacked in the original offense - again, luck was with me, it all sprung back once I untightened the hinges from it. Works like the accident never happened. IJNA

You should take her driving privileges away for a period of 6 months.
Once is a mistake, twice is being a dummy.

• Haha
Reactions: Immigrant
Haven't you been married multiple times?

Actually never.
I refer to this one as the wife sometimes 'cause it's been 20 years, we pretty much act like it anyway, and it's just easier, especially in written communication, but there is no legally binding contract and no employing the force of the state to take half my shit.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
0OzHkkS.jpg

First ex wife backed the ‘77 T Bird out of the garage onto our sloping, icy driveway. I opened the passenger door and the car started sliding down the hill and I couldn’t close the door in time to keep it from catching on the iron railing. Bent it almost all the way back (towards the fender). Wowed the door edge and fender, but still closed tight.

Crisis averted

Almost done in the engine bay.

20200304_125843.jpg

Since this pic, I got the clutch line, and the front two brake lines out. Still got to get the fuel feed, return, and vapor lines, as well as the rear brake line and it'll be ready to go. Primed the spots where I filled holes, and where brake fluid leaked.

Oh, before it went on the trailer, I ground out the strut mounts so that my new coilovers' camber adjustments are reachable without dropping the strut.

20200306_082135.jpg

Gotta say, I've never been more excited to pay someone else to work on my car. Fuck, I hate painting.

Last edited:
my car repairs cost me nothing thanks to some warranty shit i got which at the time i was like ewww i don’t want this but i’m glad i did

i have to hand the car in on monday and pay $89 for the KM overage .. SWEET!

i still haven’t gotten another car so unless i get one this weekend. i will be car-less come monday and be a true peasant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk