Ontopic New Car Thread!

I made my brake lights work again today.
Turns out the switch they used in a 96 Taurus and a 98 truck are the same thing.
Took about 5 minutes.

Not quite Jehanuum level but I got 'er done.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Scammed a cruise control stalk out of a Toyota Matrix at a scrapyard, and the Corolla now has cruise control.

Next up: fire the Empeg in the car, because radio can fuck off.

• Gravy
Reactions: Peppers
Man, fuck cars.

Corolla's throw-out bearing is failing. Car sounds like a bag of crickets when your foot's off the clutch now.

Back to driving the Honda for a bit. Gonna look how hard it is to do a clutch job and decide if it's worth tooling up for.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Man, fuck cars.
Engine died on me this morning in traffic. Coasted to the side, started cranking it. Finally caught and the engine jumped and the fan fucked the radiator. Spent half the day waiting for a tow and half the day waiting for the wife to get home to get her car to go pick up the new radiator. Starts raining 10 minutes after I get back. Install the radiator in the cold cold rain. Start filling it.

Coolant starts to run out of a hole in the new radiator I didn't see because it was raining and I was cold and wet.

Man, fuck cars.

Corolla's throw-out bearing is failing. Car sounds like a bag of crickets when your foot's off the clutch now.

Back to driving the Honda for a bit. Gonna look how hard it is to do a clutch job and decide if it's worth tooling up for.

Ain't much you can't do on those with just your basic socket & wrench set. Most everything is 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19.

Need 32mm socket and some leverage for the axle nuts.
Ball joint press keeps those in good shape.
Both should be available as loaner tools.

Make sure the clutch kit has the alignment tool in it and get crank rear main and tranny front oil seals while your in there whether they leak or not. They're cheap and fuck taking that shit apart twice.

Ain't fun but the tranny is small/light enough to be able to manhandle.

Filthy t-shirt doo-rag over hair.

Millions of people pay stupid money to do to their hair what laying in a puddle of oil or tranny fluid can do for free.
His problem was using a creeper. Can't get good leverage and force where it needs to go when you're just pushing yourself around on the floor instead.

Millions of people pay stupid money to do to their hair what laying in a puddle of oil or tranny fluid can do for free.
His problem was using a creeper. Can't get good leverage and force where it needs to go when you're just pushing yourself around on the floor instead.
I think creepers have their place(I have a nice bone style one) but sometimes not wasting those few inches provides for better leverage. Hips, do you have a surface a creeper would even work on? They don't roll well on dirt.:p

• Haha
Reactions: HipHugHer
I think creepers have their place(I have a nice bone style one) but sometimes not wasting those few inches provides for better leverage. Hips, do you have a surface a creeper would even work on? They don't roll well on dirt.:p

Piece of cardboard over the gravel works plenty well I don't need no stinkin creeper.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie