Netbooks

FancyVest

Flaccid Member
Dec 9, 2008
Marklar
₥0
Anyone know anything about them. I want to buy one to surf the internet and store/download and watch movies. Can you recommend a couple.

I don't want to spend 800 bucks on one either

You'll want the new N280 if you want to watch high def (720p) movies. The old N270 will work with SD movies. At last check, Asus was the only one who had the N280.

And the HP has the best keyboard, which is pretty important.

That said, our Dell Mini does rock.

Why is watching a movie on one of those a bad idea? They are just as large a screen as on a portable DVD player.

I kinda dig the Acer as it is easily expandable with cheap components. But I lust after the Raon Everun Note.

http://www.umpcportal.com/2008/09/everun-note-full-review

Almost full size keyboard, but way smaller than any other netbooks. Still under $800. Tons and tons of power. External monitor support for 21" screens. And upgradable easily for 3G.

See, thats just it. I won't use a portable DVD player either. There comes to a point where the screen is just too small to make it viable. That is, of course, a completely subjective opinion, but I just won't do it.

See, thats just it. I won't use a portable DVD player either. There comes to a point where the screen is just too small to make it viable. That is, of course, a completely subjective opinion, but I just won't do it.

What is too small to be usable then? I would buy with that in mind instead. Less than 10" is cheap, larger than 13", cheap. In between is expensive.

I guess screen size isn't THAT big of a deal. I watched Step Brothers (horrible) on the DS and it worked fine.

...but I don't like it over a regular tv screens, of course.

I would certainly look for a model with an internal hard drive that's 2.5" so you can upgrade to a 500gb model. The Dell is 8 or 16gb soldered on or on mini-PCI and that just isn't large enough to store movies.

The Everun, unfortunately, is a 1.8" drive to the largest is 60gb.

I also like the Everun because with Firefox scroll add-in, you can use the touch screen to do scrolling like on an iPhone and just navigate web sites easier exclusively from the screen.

If it's less than 15", I turn into a spoiled bitch.

I know, I know. What can I say.

I realize this post can possibly be translated in many different ways.

I would certainly look for a model with an internal hard drive that's 2.5" so you can upgrade to a 500gb model. The Dell is 8 or 16gb soldered on or on mini-PCI and that just isn't large enough to store movies.

The Everun, unfortunately, is a 1.8" drive to the largest is 60gb.

I also like the Everun because with Firefox scroll add-in, you can use the touch screen to do scrolling like on an iPhone and just navigate web sites easier exclusively from the screen.

Our Mini has a 16GB SSD which is perfect. Great for battery life, makes no noise, and can hold quite a few divx movies. If you're using a netbook for storage, you're doing it wrong.

Our Mini has a 16GB SSD which is perfect. Great for battery life, makes no noise, and can hold quite a few divx movies. If you're using a netbook for storage, you're doing it wrong.

If you are using on the road for music and movies, like the OP, it doesn't