FYI Nest Energy Report :cool:

You can tell a stupid amount of personal habits from their data. You can tell precisily when i go to sleep, when i wake up, when i take a shower, when i power up my servers (if i ever power them off), when i use the stove to cook dinner, etc

You cant tell if im in or out of the house though, as i hardly ever use lights, and if i do theyre cfls that dont consume enough energy to cause spikes.

this is our monthly usage with a household of 5

ukRKYp9.jpg

My only problem with it all is that since I'm home all day most days I need to be flexible. I only really want to reduce or increase the temp (depending on season) when there's nobody here which isn't very often. I can't just program for different times of day or anything. So being able to text my thermostat and say "please make my house comfy, I'm on my way home" might be useful.

It does that. And the auto-away feature is nice. If it determines that you aren't home based on habits or not walking in front of it, it will turn the climate control off.

Thermodynamics spankage in 3, 2, 1...

too many variables for proper spankage.

Although it is rather strange that i have to correct people on thermo stuff like 3 times a week..... how does that keep coming up so often.

Although it is rather strange that i have to correct people on thermo stuff like 3 times a week..... how does that keep coming up so often.

You can hide behind it all you want, but the costliest comparison of reducing "on" times is that its a huge energy spike in starting the HVAC system. Less starting = less energy. And at least here in Florida, as the house gets warmer during the summer, the heat transfer slows as it nears the external temperature reducing costs further.

I dunno, but you weren't entirely correct on the fridge thing anyway. In fact you were wrong according to all the research I've read and posted plus all the comparisons I made. And I have now looked at the backs of three different fridges and there are coils on the fridge and freezer parts on all of them so I don't know what's up with yours. Anyway, bottom freezers are the most efficient ones you can buy according to Energy Star ratings.

You can hide behind it all you want, but the costliest comparison of reducing "on" times is that its a huge energy spike in starting the HVAC system. Less starting = less energy. And at least here in Florida, as the house gets warmer during the summer, the heat transfer slows as it nears the external temperature reducing costs further.

Well, yes, with the HVAC, but is that true of a furnace as well? Remember, here in the frozen north we have to heat our houses for a big chunk of the year too.

You didnt post anything. Or if you did, i missed it.

Im not wrong. Fridges cool from the freezer, which is then piped out to the fridge as needed.

There may be evaporative coils physically behind the fridge, but the cool goes into the freezer.

You didnt post anything. Or if you did, i missed it.

Im not wrong. Fridges cool from the freezer, which is then piped out to the fridge as needed.

There may be evaporative coils physically behind the fridge, but the cool goes into the freezer.

I posted a ton. Links, discussion, graphics. WAW even reposted one of the links. On my fridge, the cool doesn't just go into the freezer and a lot of other fridges don't work on that principle either.

I posted a ton. Links, discussion, graphics. WAW even reposted one of the links. On my fridge, the cool doesn't just go into the freezer and a lot of other fridges don't work on that principle either.

Guess I missed it too. I googled the link I posted. Coincidental.