Nerdy question

theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
Marklar
₥0
What's the fastest booting system combo out there? What are some tips to make your system boot faster. I want to design a system that goes from pressing the power button to Windows being usable in less than 10 seconds.

long tall smiley said:
nerd.

Does XP Media Center do that?
No, there are some SFF computers out there (MSI and AOpen) that have a feature that lets you just boot the DVD drive to watch movies or just use the TV tuner card to watch TV in that space of time, but I need a board with more than 1 PCI and 1 AGP slot. They also don't sell those motherboards separate from the SFF combo, so it kinda blows.

probably just the fastest available cpu/ram combo coupled with a single drive...raid adds to boot time as you likely know

A person on NewEgg said this:

Put 1GB of this [Mushkin DualDDR PC-3500 Level II RAM] in an ASUS P4C800-E DLX with a 2.4C (both from Newegg), set the FSB @ 260, DDR to 5/4 (DDR333) with 2-2-2-6 timings and I'm flying along at 3.12Ghz w/DDR416 @ 2-2-2-6.

How fast is it? Well with a new WD 74GB SATA Raptor (also from Newegg) it is very fast. Cold boots to my Windows XP desktop in under 6 seconds.

mine used to boot fast, probably 15 seconds or so. Now it takes forever because monkeys pooed in the drive cage or something.