Register for an adventure

Interested in learning new things that you never actually wanted to know?

Nerdy question

Discussion in 'useless chatter' started by theacoustician, Oct 27, 2004.

1. What's the fastest booting system combo out there? What are some tips to make your system boot faster. I want to design a system that goes from pressing the power button to Windows being usable in less than 10 seconds.

2. nerd.

Does XP Media Center do that?

3. No, there are some SFF computers out there (MSI and AOpen) that have a feature that lets you just boot the DVD drive to watch movies or just use the TV tuner card to watch TV in that space of time, but I need a board with more than 1 PCI and 1 AGP slot. They also don't sell those motherboards separate from the SFF combo, so it kinda blows.

4. I just suspend to disk on my laptop

5. probably just the fastest available cpu/ram combo coupled with a single drive...raid adds to boot time as you likely know

6. do some reading on intel's rapid BIOS boot

7. A person on NewEgg said this:

Put 1GB of this [Mushkin DualDDR PC-3500 Level II RAM] in an ASUS P4C800-E DLX with a 2.4C (both from Newegg), set the FSB @ 260, DDR to 5/4 (DDR333) with 2-2-2-6 timings and I'm flying along at 3.12Ghz w/DDR416 @ 2-2-2-6.

How fast is it? Well with a new WD 74GB SATA Raptor (also from Newegg) it is very fast. Cold boots to my Windows XP desktop in under 6 seconds.

8. I didn't think that was commercially available yet.

9. Do you still love me man?

10. Holy shit!

11. i don't think it is either :(

12. Yeah, that's the kinda shit I'm talking about.

13. it's almost hard to believe

14. and he's using DDR RAM, that shit gets waaaay too fucking hot

15. Eh, I'm using some mushkin and it's warm to the touch, but not burning up or anything.

16. some good heatsinks and fans in a good case and it shouldnt be a problem

17. mine used to boot fast, probably 15 seconds or so. Now it takes forever because monkeys pooed in the drive cage or something.