Nerds: What's wrong with this Jeopardy question?

char in C is platform specific. :) Typically it is a byte.

And my question was "what does adding 1 to a pointer increment by?" Is it a bit, or a byte? Most machines it is a word, or commonly 4 bytes now. Make sense?

taeric said:
char in C is platform specific. :) Typically it is a byte.

And my question was "what does adding 1 to a pointer increment by?" Is it a bit, or a byte? Most machines it is a word, or commonly 4 bytes now. Make sense?
It depends on how you address it, in my very old school experience - that newfangled crap I know nothing about

In this case

Mov ah, BYTE PTR [value +1]

Adding one to a pointer increments by a byte, at least in 8086 assembler :p.

ChikkenNoodul said:
It depends on how you address it, in my very old school experience - that newfangled crap I know nothing about

In this case

Mov ah, BYTE PTR [value +1]

Adding one to a pointer increments by a byte, at least in 8086 assembler :p.

Yeah, but what I was getting at was that that was back when words and bytes were typically the same size. At some point 8-bits stuck to being called a byte and a word started growing. First a word was mainly 2 bytes. Now it is mostly 4. Though on a lot of newer computers it will be 8. Granted, even on the machines where a word can be 8 bytes, I think the instructions are still mostly just 4. In that case, then you are probably addressing memory in 4 byte words. (That can get harry when you load half a word in two registers, though. Cache values would get way too complicated. Which is why I would guess the data would be addressable by words, not bytes/bits.)