Need to learn real networking

Coqui

Piccolo Pete
Oct 14, 2004
Columbus, OH
Marklar
₥3,593
Anybody and their brother can configure a home wireless network. However, I'm currently looking into gaining experience in real networking for corporations. Basically trying to keep myself valuable within the company. I've spoken to our network guys and am currently in possession of a Cisco 2600 router. Yay for me. The only downside? I have 0 knowledge what to do with one of these and I don't have a manual.

I was wondering if people could give me pointers as well as resources where I can learn to use this. Down the road (maybe in a few months, I should gain access to a switch that I can do even more)

Thanks in advance.

Cisco is a safe way to go. My job uses foundry but once you understand how it all works it's easy to figure out the differences in switch commands.

the 2600 is an old timer...not sure how much relevant experience to current hardware and Cisco IOS you'll get...I had and sold a couple back in 2000 and knew enough to get by back then but haven't needed to know that stuff in a long time and pretty much forgot it all

Last edited:
about all I remember are "show run" which gives you a rundown of the config and "show ?" which gives you a list of commands

the 2600 is an old timer...not sure how much relevant experience to current hardware and Cisco IOS you'll get...I had and sold a couple back in 2000 and knew enough to get by back then but haven't needed to know that stuff in a long time and pretty much forgot it all

For the most part, I've been told it's the same. But either way, it still gives me more information as to what to expect with newer stuff. The fact that I got this (and the switch later) for free to play with should count for something even though it's antiquated hardware.

Feel free to PM me questions, I'm pretty decent with the Cisco switches/routers, and better with their firewalls. Also I can get some documents for you if you're interested.

The IOS commands are essentially the same now as they were then, not sure how recent firmware you can put on that - I've got a 2500 but it's been in a storage box for 3 years now.

If your company will pay for it, a CCIE bootcamp course is a great option.

CCIE? Id say start with the NA first...

What you need is a Cisco (or generic) branded Serial Console cable. The Console cable can be made, but that is a hassle. Ask at work if they have an extra they can give you. Plug said cable into the console port on the router. Plug the other end into your computer. Use either Hyperterminal or PuTTY, set to the COM port you are using (generally COM1), and set the port to 9600bps, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no (none) flow control.
Then turn on the cisco router. You should then see a bunch of stuff wizz by.

Eventually you'll come to a prompt. Hopefully the router was reset to defaults, in which case it will ask you if you want to run the configuration tool. I usually select no, and then it should dump you to a command line.

Type "en" or "enable" to get into admin mode. Then from there you can do "sh ru" or "show running-config" to show the current config that is loaded on the router. You can also do "sh ver" or "show version" to see what the router is, hardware in it, IOS version, etc. If you noticed, you do not have to type out the full command, usually just the first few letters which saves on typing.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Certified-Network-Associate-640-801/dp/0782143911/ref=pd_bbs_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196995047&sr=8-9"]Amazon.com: CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 5th Edition (640-801): Books: Todd Lammle[/ame]

That book there is one of the better learn Cisco and learn the CCNA. Note that the CCNA just changed either last month or this month. It used to be either one big exam or two parts. But I forget what it has changed to.

I don't have my CCNA yet, but have been playing around with stuff. I've got two 1600 level routers, one 3640, and five 3662 routers that I've been playing around with. What you'll want to do is get a second router and then some serial DTE-to-DCE cables, so you can connect the routers via their serial ports back to back, so you can set up routing and learn all that jazz.

Hope this helps. PM or e-mail me if you need help. I'm not a master at this stuff yet, but know enough to get my way around.

Edit: Another thing to learn is the OSI layers. The CCNA book I listed has a good couple of chapters on the fundamentals of networking which you really need to know and have down pat before you step into the Cisco arena.

Last edited:
ok pardon my ignorance but this serial cable you're talking about, unless it has an rj45 termination, there's no place for me to plug it into the router.

ok pardon my ignorance but this serial cable you're talking about, unless it has an rj45 termination, there's no place for me to plug it into the router.

the serial cable does have an rj-45 connector on one end, it plugs into the port labelled as "console" on the router. the other end connects to your serial port.

google image "cisco console cable", it's the blue one that you should be looking for

if you can't get one, I could always mail you one, i have about 10 on my desk at the moment

Last edited: