Need a cheaper option than this

Coqui

Piccolo Pete
Oct 14, 2004
Columbus, OH
Marklar
₥3,593
I need to get my car serviced for 30,000 miles. I don't have the means to do all of this myself.

Currently I'm at $439 to do the following:

-Replace engine oil and filter using genuine Honda filter, install new bolt washer
-Top off fluids (except brake fluid)
-Perform 19 point inspection (Incl: battery test, brake wear, tire wear, ext. lights, etc...)
-Test drive vehicle
-Rotate tires; cross rotate non-directional tires/wheels, check and set tire pressure, visually check for wear and condition
-Install fuel additives
-Inspect front and rear brakes
-Check pads and discs for wear, inspect for cracks, grooves, etc.
-Remove rear brake drums, visually check brake linings for cracking, glazing, contamination and check for wear
-Inspect calipers and wheel cylinders for hydraulic leaks
-Check brake hoses and lines
-Inspect master cylinder, proportioning control valve and ABS modulator for damage and leakage
-Check parking brake adjustment and operation, additional cost for adjustment
-Inspect tie-rod ends, steering gearbox, rack boots for impact damage and cracked or torn rubber boots
-check steering linkage for looseness
-Check fluid lines for damage and leaks
-Inspect suspension components for damage
-Check ball joint boots for deterioration and damage
-Inspect driveshaft boots for cracks, check boot bends for tightness
-Check all fluid levels and condition: discolouration, contamination and visually check for leaks
-Inspect exhaust system for damage and leaks
-Inspect fuel lines and connections for looseness, cracks, deterioration and leaks
-Replace front windshield wiper inserts (complete blade assemblies extra)
-Lubricate all hinges, locks and latches. Service window runs and rubber window seals
-Check exterior lights and controls for proper operation and illumination
-Check for noisy valves, additional cost for adjustment
-Inspect drive belts for cracks and damage. Adjust if needed
-Replace cabin dust and pollen filter
-Replace engine air cleaner element
-Replace automatic/manual transmission fluid, install new drain plug washer
-Replace copper tipped spark plugs (6 cylinder extra) - Not on the 120,000 mile service

I'm definitely looking for a much cheaper option than this. What's the standard time frame people do for this and what's a good price to pay for this?

2003 Honda Civic Si

Some of this stuff I think I can do without (aren't spark plugs 100,000?) and some I can do myself, but to have this done elsewhere other than the dealership, what should I be looking at?

Last edited:
nothing in that list is rocket science...I'd call pep boys or someone like that and it will probably be like 1/2 as much assuming that price is from a stealership

nothing in that list is rocket science...I'd call pep boys or someone like that and it will probably be like 1/2 as much assuming that price is from a stealership

Yes it's a stealership. Hence why I'm looking for other options. I shouldn't have to worry about looking for Certified Honda repairshops for anything here right?

If I had the tools, I could probably do 95% of this stuff myself, but I want to make sure first.

Yes it's a stealership. Hence why I'm looking for other options. I shouldn't have to worry about looking for Certified Honda repairshops for anything here right?

If I had the tools, I could probably do 95% of this stuff myself, but I want to make sure first.

when you go to trade that car in the last thing anyone is going to care about was whether your 30k service was done by honda...call around for a better price

That's a whole lot of checking sh*t out for a new car. They won't really do half that sh*t anyway. Get your oil changed, check the brakes, rotate your tires if you want. Check the coolant level. Bam you're done. $450? Hell no. Should run you about $50.

That's a whole lot of checking sh*t out for a new car. They won't really do half that sh*t anyway. Get your oil changed, check the brakes, rotate your tires if you want. Check the coolant level. Bam you're done. $450? Hell no. Should run you about $50.

that's what I'm screaming

The possible issue would be that Honda keeps records of all that shit. So a selling point could be that all maintenance was done by Honda, here's the proof.

Anyway, many shops will do free inspections for you. Get your brakes inspected for free. Auto parts places will check your battery and charging system for free. They will also rent TOOLS for free...

Can you list eliminate the things you KNOW you can do. I'm sure we can talk you through the rest...

Most of it doesnt even involve tools yo. Just get a flashlight and make sure shit aint broke.

Everyplace does fluids and tire rotation. I'm surprised it doesnt say get alignment done too o_O

No one gives a shit about certified Honda repairs. The people who do are the ones you wouldn't be able to sell your car to anyway. They're douchebags.