Halp NAS Help

I had bad results from a D-Link DNS-323 NAS device. I ended up selling it used at a loss. It was slow, would randomly kick out one of the drives from the array, and took forever to format the drives in any configuration (RAID-0 or RAID-1 or JBOD). I tried different firmware versions but couldn't get it reliable for basic drag and drop usage. I'd recommend staying away from that unit. I instead built out a full computer running windows 2000 pro. It's a solid box with a lot better i/o than the DNS-323 had. I rarely turn it on because the cpu fan is way too loud and the machine in general uses too much power.

Last edited:
At the time I was broke and all I had to use to replace it were spare parts. Sure, I'd like to build out a proper low power, small footprint NAS, but it ain't in the cards right now. I've got other expenses to deal with. Also, I'd rather have a NAS that doesn't run WHS. All I want from a NAS is file storage. Don't need any other bells and whistles, that I can do much better on a desktop computer.

At the time I was broke and all I had to use to replace it were spare parts. Sure, I'd like to build out a proper low power, small footprint NAS, but it ain't in the cards right now. I've got other expenses to deal with. Also, I'd rather have a NAS that doesn't run WHS. All I want from a NAS is file storage. Don't need any other bells and whistles, that I can do much better on a desktop computer.

Have you tried it? Its fucking slick dude and probably way more useful than you can imagine...