Halp NAS Help

i have a linksys nas with two 500gb hd's in raid1 i'm pretty happy with. it writes slow as hell, but streams just fine. the major plus's are it spins down the drives after they are idle for so long.. meaning the power consumption on it is extremely low compared to setting up a home server.

i've gone away from nas's recently and now use a removable harddrive bays and just have a drawer full of disks. disadvantages are no raid (unless you copy stuff twice), and keeping the drives straight (I label them now). advantages are if you have a bunch of drives you can do stuff like make copies of your OS so if you ever nuke it you just gotta copy it back over. can also pop in and out OS drives if you set it up properly...

i have a dlink nas too that i'm not to impressed with. the interface kind of really blows compared to the linksys.

I use the Disk Management, ClamAV, uTorrent, and Adminstrative Tools addins, right now.

Just the machine in general
I havent done anything at all to it yet but install the os

Set up the data pool and backup pool in the Backup section to configure where the data will reside. It's surprisingly user friendly for MS.

I try to keep as little on the machine as possible. I don't even have DIVX installed yet.

Just the machine in general
I havent done anything at all to it yet but install the os

Assuming you'll wanna do backups and stuff, browse the shares on the home server from your client machine (using the admin account and password). There is a Software share, install the Client Connector (I think its called). That will allow you to essentially manage it from your client machine(s).