Halp NAS Help

Well, if redundancy is important I'd probably steer you towards running at least two vio servers each on a pair of p595's with Power6, and using virtual partitions with NPIV enabled so that you can pmotion accross frames seamlessly. I'd run those through either a pair of Cisco 9000-series SAN directors, or Brocade DCX's and use an EMC VMAX on the storage end with 400GB FC drives set up in a RAID 6 6+2 thin pool.

Bare-metal restores :drool:

Okay. Fly, can you explain the redundancy on WHS?

WHS has a strange way of handling storage, JBOD is the closest explanation. Basically, you can throw any number of disks of any size into the pool. it will then be seen as one giant drive. It then creates a few shares for you on the server, accessible by any of your PCs. These shares (and any others you create) have a simple checkbox that says 'enable duplication'. After enabling, any data in that share will be stored on more than one physical disk, in case of a head crash on a drive.

It will also backup any/all of your machines. After the inital backup, it just does a nightly 'diff' that takes less than 15 minutes. It then keeps each backup from the last 2 weeks, one back up a week for the 2 weeks after that, and one backup from the last 2 months. It's hyper slick.

It will also allow you to setup access to your movies and music over the internet by giving you your own website at windowshomeserver.com (or something like that, I forget the domain name). If you want to enable it, you can even RDP any machine on your local network from that site.

And finally, its got a plugin system and quite a few free plugins available. :cool:

Well, if redundancy is important I'd probably steer you towards running at least two vio servers each on a pair of p595's with Power6, and using virtual partitions with NPIV enabled so that you can pmotion accross frames seamlessly. I'd run those through either a pair of Cisco 9000-series SAN directors, or Brocade DCX's and use an EMC VMAX on the storage end with 400GB FC drives set up in a RAID 6 6+2 thin pool.

Although, ideally I'd throw SRDF in there as well, but that's when it starts to get REALLY expensive, and since I'm guessing this is just for the home....

/theac

If you don't have the parts or simply don't feel like building your own, you can occasionally find refurbed MediaSmarts cheap. I have the older 475 myself, dropped a 2 gig stick of RAM and it works quite well.

But you really would be fine with an inexpensive 4 drive setup. I'd go with some of the WD Green drives, they work great with WHS and run cool and quite. Not too pricey either. Say 3 or 4 1tb drives with duplication turned on.

WHS has a strange way of handling storage, JBOD is the closest explanation. Basically, you can throw any number of disks of any size into the pool. it will then be seen as one giant drive. It then creates a few shares for you on the server, accessible by any of your PCs. These shares (and any others you create) have a simple checkbox that says 'enable duplication'. After enabling, any data in that share will be stored on more than one physical disk, in case of a head crash on a drive.

It will also backup any/all of your machines. After the inital backup, it just does a nightly 'diff' that takes less than 15 minutes. It then keeps each backup from the last 2 weeks, one back up a week for the 2 weeks after that, and one backup from the last 2 months. It's hyper slick.

It will also allow you to setup access to your movies and music over the internet by giving you your own website at windowshomeserver.com (or something like that, I forget the domain name). If you want to enable it, you can even RDP any machine on your local network from that site.

And finally, its got a plugin system and quite a few free plugins available. :cool:

There is a way to install tversity or something like that so you can transcode playback of media files on the fly and stream them to a receptive player such as PS3.

I need to play with that a little more.

Fly,

What does your WHS computer consist of hardware wise? I think I might build one, but I wanna know what I need so as to not buy a CPU or Motherboard that is overkill..

Do you have a dedicated monitor for your WHS box?

Fly,

What does your WHS computer consist of hardware wise? I think I might build one, but I wanna know what I need so as to not buy a CPU or Motherboard that is overkill..

Do you have a dedicated monitor for your WHS box?

Nah, WHS is designed to run headless. It's all managed from any of your client PCs from a simplified UI.

And my box IS overkill. Like a 2.8Ghz proc with 2GB of RAM. You could almost literally run the thing off an Atom netbook with some external USB drives plugged into it.

But I would get this version now because the next gen WHS will require 64bit. Which I guess wouldn't be too hard to find.

I ran WHS quite well on 1gb DDR and a Via SP13000 board.

Nah, WHS is designed to run headless. It's all managed from any of your client PCs from a simplified UI.

And my box IS overkill. Like a 2.8Ghz proc with 2GB of RAM. You could almost literally run the thing off an Atom netbook with some external USB drives plugged into it.

fuk I might have to try this out