Mysterious Rash

kiwi

Messin’ with Sasquatch
Apr 22, 2005
Summer
Marklar
₥15,558
So a couple months ago, my ring finger broke out in a horrible rash along my wedding ring. I took my ring off until the rash completely went away (took a couple weeks) and had the ring cleaned. I was then able to wear it again for about 3 days, and we are back to the same problem. It does have cutouts in the back of the band along the diamonds that collects gunk. That is what I made sure to get all cleaned out and scrubbed them out completely with a toothbrush last night, yet my finger is still irritated today. Might just be from the rash I already have though, so I've put my ring away again for a week or so to see what happens.

Anybody else have any similar issues. I am attaching a picture for reference. It is red and cracked and it hurts and stings and itches. Obviously I just need to make Knyte go buy me a new fancy expensive platinum ring, anybody willing to donate to the fund?

39246e85e22bb07b.jpg

What kind of metal is it? You could be experiencing a reaction to the metal with your new pregnancy chemistry.

Did you get poison ivy/oak on it? If so then you need to scrub a dub dub it with soap or whatever kills poison ivy/oak. The oils in that stuff will stay contagious for a year.

is it tight? (being pregnant and swollen can make the ring tight, that combined with hot weather can cause irritation under the ring because it doesn't breathe right)

I have had very similar experiences with rings, I have extremely sensitive skin and have had silver rings cause that reaction, where it's almost like I get poison ivy under the ring even though I don't go outside... it's a bumpy rash that itches like crazy and is all bumpy and red. I just don't wear those rings anymore.

What kind of metal is it? You could be experiencing a reaction to the metal with your new pregnancy chemistry.

Did you get poison ivy/oak on it? If so then you need to scrub a dub dub it with soap or whatever kills poison ivy/oak. The oils in that stuff will stay contagious for a year.

is it tight? (being pregnant and swollen can make the ring tight, that combined with hot weather can cause irritation under the ring because it doesn't breathe right)

I have had very similar experiences with rings, I have extremely sensitive skin and have had silver rings cause that reaction, where it's almost like I get poison ivy under the ring even though I don't go outside... it's a bumpy rash that itches like crazy and is all bumpy and red. I just don't wear those rings anymore.

It's white gold. I never thought about it being related to being pregnant although that does make sense. I hope it will go away easily like that. It isn't really tight at all and I take it off every night (I can't wear rings to bed, I swell in my sleep and it's very uncomfortable). I'm about 99% certain it hasn't been in any poison anything cause it's either on my finger or on my dresser and I haven't been in any poison anything.

New excuse to not wear a wedding ring! :p

Did you see wal-mart has to remove their line of flip flops because it was giving people similar rashes around their toes? Guess where those were made.

It's hard to tell from a photo, but that looks like a specific type of rash whose name I forget (it's a double barreled name anyway)

But no big deal, keep the ring off not to irritate further. But wearing rings is never a good idea. A ring harbours a lot of bacteria, especially if you had been working outside, though I have a hunch you didn't get it from outside as that doesn't look like an adverse reaction to a plant per say, though it may be from a household cleaning product.

Last edited:
try dunking the ring in some rubbing alcohol every few hours to clean it.. myself and most of my dad's side of the family can't wear anything except surgical steel or titanium. My brother wears his wedding ring on a necklace of surgical steel.

What if you switched to wearing a plain band everyday and the actual ring for more formal occasions.

My wife needs to do that because she can't wear her regular ring while working.

What are you cleaning it with? Some jewellery cleaners can be unkind to your skin.

Oh, and I already donated to my wife's platinum rings fund, so no luck for you.

What are you cleaning it with? Some jewellery cleaners can be unkind to your skin.

Oh, and I already donated to my wife's platinum rings fund, so no luck for you.

I had them clean it at the jewelers the first time, when I scrubbed out all the little indents I just used water. I probably need to disinfect it this time, but will wait till I can find someone that knows of the best way to do that without affecting the gold or diamonds.

I go see my doc in a week and a half, I'll ask him if he has any thoughts as well.

I had them clean it at the jewelers the first time, when I scrubbed out all the little indents I just used water. I probably need to disinfect it this time, but will wait till I can find someone that knows of the best way to do that without affecting the gold or diamonds.

I go see my doc in a week and a half, I'll ask him if he has any thoughts as well.

I use water and and old toothbrush. Even better if theres a touch of toothpaste on there as it acts like a nice polish.

Did you change your diet at all? I know pregger women have odd cravings and you could just be putting something into your body that you are mildly allergic to. I used to be very mildly allergic to this type of lemonade and it would make my neck break out around my old necklace every time I drank it. Took me awhile to figure out what the culprit was.