My TV looks like crap :(

i have a color tv. looks like all the other tvs out there. i'm not impressed with these big ol' advanced things. half the time you have to be sitting right in front of the thing to see. no sitting on the floor at the corner of the couch with a good sight. bah.
Not true. That's only really true at bast's house.

Not true. That's only really true at bast's house.

there've been at least two big screens like that, and it drives me nuts. i don't understand why you'd pay all that money for a huge ass tv and you still have limited places where you can see it. :iono:

being on this forum has made me realize there's a lot i don't understand. :eek:

there've been at least two big screens like that, and it drives me nuts. i don't understand why you'd pay all that money for a huge ass tv and you still have limited places where you can see it. :iono:

We have a bigass flat screen tv and you can see it from just about anyplace in the room. It only gets dark if youre looking at it from an extreme angle. Otherwise it looks great.

The people who have those probably didn't know anything when they bought them. You'll find that is a very common trait in most consumers, regardless of the cost of the item.

Ahh, a new TV...I've been lusting for a flat panel just so i can set it up in front of my un-unsed fireplace.

Either one of these:
http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelLanding/0,1058,1718,00.html

Or a Samsung:
http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/LCDTV/LNS4051DXXAA.asp?page=Specifications

I have a small living room, so even a 37" is gonna seem big, but I do want HD. Tuner doesn't matter as I don't watch over the air TV, it's either Sat or DVD. Speakers don't matter either as I have the audio running through the stereo.
Luckily I won't need to convince the wife about this purchase as she's the one who initially brought it up. The only debate I see us having will be the positioning of the panel itself. Theoretically it would fit up on the mantle over the fireplace, but I hate the idea of staring up at the image. We'll probably try it out it that spot though and see how it works out.

Ahh, a new TV...I've been lusting for a flat panel just so i can set it up in front of my un-unsed fireplace.

Either one of these:
http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelLanding/0,1058,1718,00.html

Or a Samsung:
http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/LCDTV/LNS4051DXXAA.asp?page=Specifications

I have a small living room, so even a 37" is gonna seem big, but I do want HD. Tuner doesn't matter as I don't watch over the air TV, it's either Sat or DVD. Speakers don't matter either as I have the audio running through the stereo.
Luckily I won't need to convince the wife about this purchase as she's the one who initially brought it up. The only debate I see us having will be the positioning of the panel itself. Theoretically it would fit up on the mantle over the fireplace, but I hate the idea of staring up at the image. We'll probably try it out it that spot though and see how it works out.

Go for the Sharp, its a nice piece, but don't put it over the fireplace. You will quickly grow to hate staring up at it. Plus cabling is rather difficult.

Go for the Sharp, its a nice piece, but don't put it over the fireplace. You will quickly grow to hate staring up at it. Plus cabling is rather difficult.

Intrinsically, I know I'll hate having it up there, but I may have to let the wife see how much it sucks before it gets moved. Go figure.

i dont watch tv all that much the justify getting a fancy tv.

id rather dump un-godly amount of money into the bikes, that way i can go throw them down the road. lol

i would like to get a projector though. nothing like playing games on a 10' x 10' wall.

Intrinsically, I know I'll hate having it up there, but I may have to let the wife see how much it sucks before it gets moved. Go figure.

Why not cut a piece of cardboard out the size of the TV and have her sit down and look up at it for an hour? Saves you having to deal with wall mounting it and fussing with the cabling. You really don't want the bottom of the screen any more than 48"-52" AFF. A little lower is perferrable to higher.

But good luck. I understand the situation you're in and its never fun.

Why not cut a piece of cardboard out the size of the TV and have her sit down and look up at it for an hour? Saves you having to deal with wall mounting it and fussing with the cabling. You really don't want the bottom of the screen any more than 48"-52" AFF. A little lower is perferrable to higher.

But good luck. I understand the situation you're in and its never fun.

I may try the cardboard cut out. At the very least we will be able to see the min/max size that will work in our living room.
Me, I know what I want. I want to sit dead center on the couch and have the top of my head lined up just below the top of the LCD glass. I'm thinking the center channel speaker, which I don't have yet, might find a home on the mantle instead.