My TV just got a new ventilation hole (flashlight related)

I

I Robert I

I was sitting here having a bite to eat when I started to smell something funky. At first I thought it was someone burning something outside but then for some reason I started thinking about the threads I've read about catastrophic failure in the types of batteries I use and started looking around at my lights. Doing this I noticed a thin line of light escaping from underneath my Mag85.

Apparently, something had triggered the regulation circuit and it had come alive. Needless to say I'm pretty fucking glad I was at home when it happened...

mag85assistedairhole.jpg

ceiling fly said:
Holy shit. How are you able to hold the thing when its lit?
Most of the heat is projected forward. The rest gets heatsinked pretty well by the large mass of the flashlight. Holding it in your hand also helps to draw the heat away, your circulatory system basically acts as liquid cooling for the light. I haven't had it on for more than a minute or so yet though so I don't know how hot it gets if I let it run through a full charge.

Very small lights actually rely on your blood to help with heatsinking. It's a kinda cool concept :)

I Robert I said:
Most of the heat is projected forward. The rest gets heatsinked pretty well by the large mass of the flashlight. Holding it in your hand also helps to draw the heat away, your circulatory system basically acts as liquid cooling for the light. I haven't had it on for more than a minute or so yet though so I don't know how hot it gets if I let it run through a full charge.

Very small lights actually rely on your blood to help with heatsinking. It's a kinda cool concept :)
So was the fleshlight facing down then?

edit: Or because you weren't holding it that it got that hot.

ceiling fly said:
So was the fleshlight facing down then?

edit: Or because you weren't holding it that it got that hot.
It was standing on its head on top of the TV. The heat that is projected out the front stays the same regardless of you holding it or not. I tried it out on a bag of chips once, makes it melt/shrink real quick like :)

portable light source, and portable pop-tart warmer all in one! I think there is a market for this.

Drool-Boy said:
You could also set hobos on fire with it in a pinch! Whatta great tool!

I think Swiss Army could utilize this concept better into their multipurpose tools.

Our new product has 85 functions including tweasers, utility knife, magnifying glass, toothpick, can opener, and hobo ignition tool!