My second game recommendation: God of War

El Borracho said:
Yeah, I suggest staying as far away as possible from WoW.

WoW is the devils game.
It would be especially bad for a guy like me, I've got video game OCD so like whatever I'm currently playing I have to complete 100% or I won't eat or sleep correctly

I like the PA quote about this game
Tycho said:
The only issue one could reasonably submit - outside of the vexing moral ones - is that God of War just asks too much from the poor machine sometimes. Not often enough to really grate on a person, just every now and then, so you get the impression that the developer is saying "Come on little PS2, you can do it" and the PS2 replies "I am an ancient and decrepit thing, a tangle of bones and hair just as one might find in a crypt."

bast_imret said:
the PSP is soo :drool: It is just a gorgeous peice of hardware. The screen is amazing. I've got Wipeout and Lumines so far, and both are a ton of fun. I haven't gotten too far into the video encoding portion yet, but I did try a small avi file with PSPvideo9 and it worked flawlessly. Can't wait to get a bigger memorystick.
You do realize that all the things you can do with a PSP (video, mp3, ebooks) can be done with a DS for less, right?

theacoustician said:
I like the PA quote about this game
where did that come from?

by the way there are a few cases where it flickers to the lighting, but I can't say I've experienced any slowdown

theacoustician said:
You do realize that all the things you can do with a PSP (video, mp3, ebooks) can be done with a DS for less, right?

yeah, but sony > *

theacoustician said:

No, I don't. Cause a DS costs $150, the attachment, whenever it comes out, will cost an additional $50, so there is the price of your PSP right there (whenver they sell out of these initial PSP "Value Packs" and start selling just the hardware for $200 that is. Stupid Spiderman 2 movie). Plus, I'd rather watch my ripped ATHF on the PSP screen than on two smaller, lower rez screens on a system that pumps out graphics equivalent of the N64, an 8 year old system.

But I do not mean to be a fanboi, just argue the other side. As long as their are games for a certain console that you want to play, who gives a shit which is better. It's all about the games. I still like playing emulated NES games even though they look like shit by today's standards.

bast_imret said:
No, I don't. Cause a DS costs $150, the attachment, whenever it comes out, will cost an additional $50, so there is the price of your PSP right there (whenver they sell out of these initial PSP "Value Packs" and start selling just the hardware for $200 that is. Stupid Spiderman 2 movie). Plus, I'd rather watch my ripped ATHF on the PSP screen than on two smaller, lower rez screens on a system that pumps out graphics equivalent of the N64, an 8 year old system.

But I do not mean to be a fanboi, just argue the other side. As long as their are games for a certain console that you want to play, who gives a shit which is better. It's all about the games. I still like playing emulated NES games even though they look like shit by today's standards.
It's out now, cost $30, and $150 + $30 != $250.

When you take into account you also need a mem card of a decent size for the PSP, you're talking big bucks. At 3-4" screens, you've reached the point of diminishing returns for high powered graphics. Sony needs to work on games that can be played 5-10 minutes at a time (if needs be) and more addictive than crack (Advanced Wars, et al). Why they chose to go disc based instead of card based in a portable system still baffles me. That combined with the bugs, dead pixels, and high cost of UMDs doesn't make this system fly very far. Its more like a system to leave in the shitter to play while you're taking a dump than something that's truly portable.

theacoustician said:
It's out now, cost $30, and $150 + $30 != $250.

When you take into account you also need a mem card of a decent size for the PSP, you're talking big bucks. At 3-4" screens, you've reached the point of diminishing returns for high powered graphics. Sony needs to work on games that can be played 5-10 minutes at a time (if needs be) and more addictive than crack (Advanced Wars, et al). Why they chose to go disc based instead of card based in a portable system still baffles me. That combined with the bugs, dead pixels, and high cost of UMDs doesn't make this system fly very far. Its more like a system to leave in the shitter to play while you're taking a dump than something that's truly portable.

Like I said, when the so-called "value packs" sell out, they will be putting the standard pack out. And if the Japanese price is anything to go by (which is dead on for the value pack at $250) then the standard pack PSP will be $180.

BTW, you wanna talk about bugs? I haven't heard of any yet with the US release PSP. Bad pixels, it's hit and miss with any LCD, and guess what, the DS has them too. oh and I found this while looking for some info on the DS video player:

Nintendo recently recalled the Play-Yan video device for the Nintendo DS. For those uninformed, the Play-Yan was basically a GBA cart which you can stick a flash memory card into, then loading movies, music, photos, etc, on this memory card, currently available only in Japan. The recall was due to the sound sometimes switching the channel. So sound for the right ear went to the left ear, and vice versa. So nothing too big, and Nintendo is replacing all units free of charge. For more information, click here.

Not exactly bug free. And you still need to buy a flash memoy card. All video function is going to rely greatly on the storage capacity, or else you aren't going to have a enough space to convert to a quality worth watching.

You wanna talk about 5-10 min at a time? Lumines. One race in wipeout. Shit, pretty much anything, considering that the PSP has a built in sleep function. Flick the switch up and it powers down into sleep. Flick it back up again, any time later, and it comes back on exactly where you left off. No need to wait until a save point. Getting really close to beating that high score, but have to get off marta and go to work? No problem, put it in sleep mode and continue again on your marta ride back home.

UMD cost, ya. It's high, based on the standards for portable gaming. But then again, it all can't stay cheap forever. There are already reports of nextgen console games making the move to $60 and up. My main gripe is with the UMD movies. Sony stupid if they think people are going to pony up $20 to $27 for a movie that they can only watch on the PSP, when I can buy said movie for $17 at walmart the week it comes out and rip it to my PSP's memory card.

Last edited: