My daddy killed me with a butcher knife

Arthur Pendragon said:
The US Justice system does not allow anyone to plead guilty on a capital murder charge, the innocent pea is entered automatically, the fact that they even bother with the plea is a legal technicality.
well you don't have to be snooty about it. :rolleyes:

Arthur Pendragon said:
The US Justice system does not allow anyone to plead guilty on a capital murder charge, the innocent pea is entered automatically, the fact that they even bother with the plea is a legal technicality.

I think this is because of people pleaing guilty to crimes they did not commit.

crazymike said:
I think this is because of people pleaing guilty to crimes they did not commit.

No, its a constitutional issue. It has to do with the fact that only capital crimes carry the death penalty. According to the constitution no person can be subject to the death penalty without first having a trial. Since entering a guilty plea would dispence with a trial entering a guilty plea in a capital crime violates the constitution. Thus you cannot enter a guilty plea in a capital crime.

Arthur Pendragon said:
No, its a constitutional issue. It has to do with the fact that only capital crimes carry the death penalty. According to the constitution no person can be subject to the death penalty without first having a trial. Since entering a guilty plea would dispence with a trial entering a guilty plea in a capital crime violates the constitution. Thus you cannot enter a guilty plea in a capital crime.

does this only apply to capitol punishment states?

crazymike said:
does this only apply to capitol punishment states?
No it applys to every state and US territory. Even if the state in question does not have a death penalty you still cannot plead guilty to a capital crime.