My boss is so strange...

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
My co-worker and I were having a discussion about how we're both looking forward to SSD (flash) hard-drives becoming more common and less expensive and how we both think it's only going to make things better (which it is). As my boss was walking by he overheard us and went on a 5-minute rant about how he thought it would end up being less secure, less reliable, and it was only going to cause problems and then to spread the icing on the cake he finally said "I won't allow it in MY datacenter", before storming off. Keep in mind that this person has no control whatsoever on what goes on in the DC.

How can someone who is obviously so terrified of anything new seriously be a supervisor in the IT field? :rolleyes:

My co-worker and I were having a discussion about how we're both looking forward to SSD (flash) hard-drives becoming more common and less expensive and how we both think it's only going to make things better (which it is). As my boss was walking by he overheard us and went on a 5-minute rant about how he thought it would end up being less secure, less reliable, and it was only going to cause problems and then to spread the icing on the cake he finally said "I won't allow it in MY datacenter", before storming off. Keep in mind that this person has no control whatsoever on what goes on in the DC.

How can someone who is obviously so terrified of anything new seriously be a supervisor in the IT field? :rolleyes:

Let me guess, he's a holdover from the mainframe days...

Or worked IT for the government.

I hate that type of people being in IT.

He's the pseudo-"top dog" around here for the time being because our team is relatively small and no one has made the decision to appoint a site manager yet. If the office that I work in is ever going to advance he is going to have to be replaced or put under someone who actually has the right vision.

Let me guess, he's a holdover from the mainframe days...

Or worked IT for the government.

He came out of telecomm actually. He spent the first 20 years of his career "climbing the poles", his words.

He came out of telecomm actually. He spent the first 20 years of his career "climbing the poles", his words.

Oh god. I hate telecom guys who go into IT.

They don't understand the app/server side of things correctly. Only internetworking.

not gonna be ripping any blurays with that sucker! :fly:

Nah, they're both for carrying around the building as test devices. We could buy these for $500 and load them with the needed software or pay $5000+ for a handheld tester. It was a no brainer.

I don't see how the SSD is less secure than a regular harddrive. In fact, give it a year or two and SSD will have ondisk encryption, like a few of the regular harddrives.

SSDs, the current gen isn't all that fast, but soon new generation drives will be out that will be blazing fast on reads and def on writes.

I don't see how the SSD is less secure than a regular harddrive. In fact, give it a year or two and SSD will have ondisk encryption, like a few of the regular harddrives.

SSDs, the current gen isn't all that fast, but soon new generation drives will be out that will be blazing fast on reads and def on writes.

Technically it should be more secure since there is no magnetic memory. Once its overwritten, its unrecoverable...