My 2011 - 2012 Classes

I feel a brain drain coming.

It's already happening. Look at the nationality of 50% of PHDs over the past decade in the US, and then look at where they went once they got their PHD. They didn't stay in the US...

Smart people said 'Whoa, look what they are doing over in the US' a few decades back, came here, learned from us, took the lessons to their countries, and made a mint. We're not the top of the food chain anymore because we let everyone come in, look at our recipe, and take it home with them. Pool has been diluted.

If you teach over here, you WILL be struggling. The starting wage for most teachers is barely over the poverty line, and they ahve to pay back their student loans during that time, too, and sometimes their master's student loans. That's 6 figure debt when you leave school for a job that's barely above the poverty line. That's barely minimum wage. There are special loans just for educators to buy even a meager house because most banks would never lend to someone in such a financial state usually, that's how poor our teachers are. And if you think teachers only work 9 months out of the year, you are sorely mistaken, at least the family members and teacher friends I have. Not only do they have to use their summers teaching voluntary (but mandatory) summer school, they have to plan their next year's curriculum, arrange the supplies, sometimes clean their rooms even. And if you think they only work 40 hour weeks during the school year, you are sorely mistaken.

Edit: Oh and even though they have good insurance plans, they still have to pay for them, taking out more from their meager salaries. Of course now with union busting going on, every teacher has to reapply for their position every year. No tenure anymore.

Teachers here get paid alot for working summer school, and poor time management is the only reason teachers work over 40 hours. They all have tas now to grade papers and print off stuff, plus a free period for anything else. After thier first year the curriculum is largely done and they just have to tweek it.

Face it, most of our teachers suck and tenure only makes them lazy.

Teachers here get paid alot for working summer school, and poor time management is the only reason teachers work over 40 hours. They all have tas now to grade papers and print off stuff, plus a free period for anything else. After thier first year the curriculum is largely done and they just have to tweek it.

Face it, most of our teachers suck and tenure only makes them lazy.

I don't agree with one thing you have posted.

Let me get this straight.

Our current education system blows ass, you think it will get better if the we pay the same educators more and keep unions and tenure so they can never be fired for shit performance?

Paying them less isn't going to fix the issue either.

The problem with our schools is the politics behind school administration boards. I don't know who the fuck these people are setting criteria and determining what works and what doesn't in schools, but apparently they were all members of really failed educational institutions.

There isn't much of anything to do with schooling today that looks that familiar. I have a number of friends who are active teachers today, and the stories they tell me about the school itself, not the students, make me shake my head.

If you pay more and make teachers reapply, the theory, and point I was trying to make earlier, is you will draw alot better talent from other professions and alot of current teachers wining about pay will find themselves unemployed and thier replacements getting paid more.

School boards should be outlawed too. No child left behind has really hurt our schools because everyone is dragged down to the lowest denominator.

I remember my senior year in high school we learned a shitload in my honors classes because kids showed up, paid attention, and did the work. In my normal classes we didn't learn anything because the teacher was constantly dealing with disruptions from students who didn't care, really hurting the rest of us.

And in fairness to the teachers, education starts and ends at home so if the parents aren't in it most kids fail so teachers in inner city single parent areas are doomed to fail from the start.

I feel a brain drain coming.

68krtq.jpg

If you pay more and make teachers reapply, the theory, and point I was trying to make earlier, is you will draw alot better talent from other professions and alot of current teachers wining about pay will find themselves unemployed and thier replacements getting paid more.

School boards should be outlawed too. No child left behind has really hurt our schools because everyone is dragged down to the lowest denominator.

I remember my senior year in high school we learned a shitload in my honors classes because kids showed up, paid attention, and did the work. In my normal classes we didn't learn anything because the teacher was constantly dealing with disruptions from students who didn't care, really hurting the rest of us.

And in fairness to the teachers, education starts and ends at home so if the parents aren't in it most kids fail so teachers in inner city single parent areas are doomed to fail from the start.

These things I do agree with.

I don't think it's the teacher's fault 100% for the decline of education. Larger class sizes because of cut budgets (even though the populations are rising), prioritization on standardized exams, lack of support from school boards, and many other reasons outside of the classroom are at fault. And I think the teachers today are MORE highly trained than before. I know my old public school now requires a masters to get a starting job there. I know my old public school required teachers to take training courses in other subjects to keep their minds sharp. My old public school required meetings with parents and students once a month at least whether they were doing well or doing poorly to make sure the learning and classwork was part of the home life, too.

Granted my situation was one of extreme rarity. We had a graduation rate in the high 90% and graduation rate of those people FINISHING college in 4 years in the 80% range.

It's already happening. Look at the nationality of 50% of PHDs over the past decade in the US, and then look at where they went once they got their PHD. They didn't stay in the US...

Smart people said 'Whoa, look what they are doing over in the US' a few decades back, came here, learned from us, took the lessons to their countries, and made a mint. We're not the top of the food chain anymore because we let everyone come in, look at our recipe, and take it home with them. Pool has been diluted.

I'm thinking more along the lines of talent coming out of your education system. The more you cut spending on education, the less you will see skilled workers. Long term investments is what this nation needs.

This.

I volunteer in my child's classroom regularly. My kid is reading quite well and does great in subjects, gets her homework done etc. There are other kids in her class that have the exact same teacher all day, and can barely sound out basic words. It's just sad. If the parents are willing to be involved, the kids will do better than the parents that expect the teachers and school to do it all.

Edit: The volunteering isn't necessary for success, I was just stating that as I've first hand had experiencing sitting down and working with the kids that are behind, so I see exactly where they are at compared to the rest of the class.

I'm thinking more along the lines of talent coming out of your education system. The more you cut spending on education, the less you will see skilled workers. Long term investments is what this nation needs.
The Teacher's Union kills workforce competition. In NY once you are 'in' you are in, and there's no getting rid of a state employed teacher (or any civil servant for that matter) except if they commit an actual crime, and even then it's a whole 'process.'

There are significant numbers of non-unioun teachers, usually substitutes and teacher's aides, who are paid barely anything and don't have any benefits, but they are not the majority.
This.

I volunteer in my child's classroom regularly. My kid is reading quite well and does great in subjects, gets her homework done etc. There are other kids in her class that have the exact same teacher all day, and can barely sound out basic words. It's just sad. If the parents are willing to be involved, the kids will do better than the parents that expect the teachers and school to do it all.

Edit: The volunteering isn't necessary for success, I was just stating that as I've first hand had experiencing sitting down and working with the kids that are behind, so I see exactly where they are at compared to the rest of the class.
There is a really simple way to fix this. Stop coddling troublemakers. Dealing with behavior issues should NOT be a function of the school system. The school system should be there to educate, not provide substitute parents.