Halp Music Library Software?

OzSTEEZ

¡ɟɟo ʞɔnɟ ʇunɔ 'ᴉO
Nov 11, 2008
Oz
Marklar
₥25,442
On the weekend I bought and installed Windows 7. I've been installing all the software which works with Windows 7, and I'm now needing to install something to organize my music. I normally use iTunes, but I'm fed up with it's slowness with dealing with the 30,000 songs in my collection.

Can someone recommend good Music Library software?

http://musicbrainz.org/
Fixes file names, metadata tags (like ID3 tagging), folders, etc.

Pretty neat stuff. Been using this for years. Slowly going through my collection (56GB) and retagging everything.

How long does it take to process all your music initially? I have 125GB of music and iTunes would take FOREVER to load them all in to the library.

i use mp3tag for renaming/id3 tagging. http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

for the library I use MediaMonkey, lets me rate stuff, organize it, sort by year, album, artist, title, location, etc. http://www.mediamonkey.com/

it's fairly lightweight (whatever version I have anyways) and basic, not a lot of fluff. tough to find a music library software, guess it's all about what you're looking for, I recommend trying it out at the very least.

I used to use musicbrainz. not entirely sure why I stopped.

Not sure. I use winamp for my music player and just load a few albums at a time, not the whole library. Guess this wasn't what you were looking for. :|

Well the id3 tagger thingy does seem quite interesting. Though I was looking for more of a music library/player kind of software application..

I would assume she hasn't ripped them to digital yet. So I would recommend 256bit MP3. And yes, a 500GB would be plenty..

:dunno:
i just use itunes cause i have an ipod and i don't have any problems with it. doesn't seem to be slow in anyway when i'm browsing my >100GB library. keeps track of my play counts and all that shit so whatev

I would assume she hasn't ripped them to digital yet. So I would recommend 256bit MP3. And yes, a 500GB would be plenty..

Might I recommend you use VBR rather than CBR as it's a more efficient use of space. The best settings are LAME V2 or V0. An album will typically use 60-120MB depending on the bitrate and album length. FLAC will be more in the order of 300MB+

whaaaaaaat?
you??? im shocked!!!

i thought you HATED apple

I do.. And I hate iTunes.. One good thing about iTunes is that I could edit each MP3 right there in the list without having to open a different window with the info.

Once I find something to replace iTunes, I will finally be completely Apple free...

Okay, so I loaded up Winamp library. I went through in the last hour and fixed a few albums with totally incorrect or missing ID3 tags with Musicbrainz. Rescanned library. I still have a lot of work.

Not really sure what the advantage of using a library is. But I figured I'd try it out and post a screenshot for you.

winamp-library.PNG

edit: I don't even listen to half of this shit. A lot of it is from soundtracks from movies or that YTMND soundtrack (holy fuck that is huge).

Last edited:
I've used Winamp library before. It's... meh.. I hate the interface, and the way you edit ID3s..

Maybe I have finally found something to program myself.