Multiroom Directv problems

S

smileynev

So I am currently living at my in laws till our house is done. We moved our directv service to their place and had it installed. 3 boxes including a two tuner tivo. Now, for some reason, one of the boxes only shows some of the channels some of the time. The other two boxes, including the tivo, seem to work fine. Is it something to do with the multiswitch?

Pancake Wagon said:
So I am currently living at my in laws till our house is done. We moved our directv service to their place and had it installed. 3 boxes including a two tuner tivo. Now, for some reason, one of the boxes only shows some of the channels some of the time. The other two boxes, including the tivo, seem to work fine. Is it something to do with the multiswitch?

Yep, sounds like the multiswitch is hosed.

Drool-Boy said:
if all 3 boxes are hooked directly to the same lnb they should all get the same channels I would think
dual LNB with a 4 way multiswitch.

b_sinning said:
How much does a dual tv tuner tivo sell for?
I got it for free by committing to one year of service. Called them and said I was thinking about switching to Dish since they give their customers a free dvr.

fly said:
Did you try putting the offending box on another one of the multiswtich lines?
Yeah, I swapped boxes. The new box on the offending line seemed to work fine that night, but then it stopped working right the following morning.

b_sinning said:
How much is your service cost?
For the Directivo? Its $4.99 a month for the tivo service. I think our total bill is like $58 for 3 receivers, the tivo service, and all the basic Directv channels plus local channels.

fly said:
Then its the multiswitch.
Or the box is overheating. Could be because there's enough ventallation for a regular box but not enough for its DVR brethern. We have all kinds of freaky ass sat. box problems and 95% of them are solved by giving the box more ventallation and keeping it cool.

And make sure all the cable running from the dish to the multiswitch and then onto the receivers is RG6. If they have RG59, that would explain a lot of failures.