Multiroom Directv problems

Pancake Wagon said:
All the boxes are out in the open, not in cabinets.

All the cabling to the boxes is RG6. From the boxes to the tvs there may be some 59, but that shouldn't effect the channels.
Oh yes it would. RG59 doesn't have enough bandwidth to handle satellite. Make sure its RG6 down the line. In fact, if you can take the offending box to the multiswitch with a small TV, connect it with a short piece of RG6. That way you know if its the wiring in the walls or the multiswitch.

theacoustician said:
Oh yes it would. RG59 doesn't have enough bandwidth to handle satellite. Make sure its RG6 down the line. In fact, if you can take the offending box to the multiswitch with a small TV, connect it with a short piece of RG6. That way you know if its the wiring in the walls or the multiswitch.

yeah
My moms sat reciever was hooked to the tv with a short piece of rg59 and it acted allkinds of wierd
I replaced it with the rg6 and it was fine

theacoustician said:

Why would the bandwidth requirements between the TV and the box be different for satellite?

fly said:
Why would the bandwidth requirements between the TV and the box be different for satellite?
I thought he said he was sure it was RG6 from the sat. to the multiswitch. So no need to check that. I don't understand what you're asking.

There was a splitter inside the wall in my brother in laws room. I disconnected the cabling and put an in line amplifier doohicky that I had in line with the cable from the basement and the cable to the tv. That fixed the issue. I have a feeling it was the splitter causing the problem.

Pancake Wagon said:
There was a splitter inside the wall in my brother in laws room. I disconnected the cabling and put an in line amplifier doohicky that I had in line with the cable from the basement and the cable to the tv. That fixed the issue. I have a feeling it was the splitter causing the problem.
That would be it.

Those splitters don't work with satellite, the jackass that wired our house FOR SATELLITE (He used RG6 at least) because cable was unavailable, put in like 3 splitters :mad:

ChikkenNoodul said:
That would be it.

Those splitters don't work with satellite, the jackass that wired our house FOR SATELLITE (He used RG6 at least) because cable was unavailable, put in like 3 splitters :mad:
At my old house we had one splitter that worked fine. But, I think they were slightly better then the one in his wall. At the new house there is nary a splitter to be found. All the runs I made are home runs to my now nonexistant A/V center because they put a fucking duct in the way.

Pancake Wagon said:
At my old house we had one splitter that worked fine. But, I think they were slightly better then the one in his wall. At the new house there is nary a splitter to be found. All the runs I made are home runs to my now nonexistant A/V center because they put a fucking duct in the way.
I think you were just lucky with the old one :fly:

Bah, you don't need a duct, rip it out

ChikkenNoodul said:
That would be it.

When I bought my sattelite, they said the HAD to send a guy out to install it. Well , I wasnt going to wait a week for the schmuck to show up, so I installed it myself.
A week later the guy shows up. Hes at my front door in flip flops, cut off sweat pants and a tank top. Not exactly dressed to be crawling around on a hot roof or in an attic:wtf: Plus the guy was as dumb as a stone. Even if I HAD waited for him, no way in hell I would let him do anything to my house.

Forrest Dump said:
When I bought my sattelite, they said the HAD to send a guy out to install it. Well , I wasnt going to wait a week for the schmuck to show up, so I installed it myself.
A week later the guy shows up. Hes at my front door in flip flops, cut off sweat pants and a tank top. Not exactly dressed to be crawling around on a hot roof or in an attic:wtf: Plus the guy was as dumb as a stone. Even if I HAD waited for him, no way in hell I would let him do anything to my house.
Oy, I hate it when the 'service techs' know less than I do about their company's product.

In our case it was the wiring we had done when the house was being built. The same feeb also wired all the phones in series instead of running a direct line to each outlet like we wanted.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Oy, I hate it when the 'service techs' know less than I do about their company's product.

In our case it was the wiring we had done when the house was being built. The same feeb also wired all the phones in series instead of running a direct line to each outlet like we wanted.

I went in and ran cat5 and coax to all the rooms myself before the sheetrock when up. The home builders wanted to charge me 75$ per cable drop, and just looked at me blankly when I asked about network drops:tard:

Forrest Dump said:
I went in and ran cat5 and coax to all the rooms myself before the sheetrock when up. The home builders wanted to charge me 75$ per cable drop, and just looked at me blankly when I asked about network drops:tard:
:lol:

The guy seemed to understand that I wanted it wired for satellite, and it didn't cost that much extra.

The Cat5e was run by someone else, and THAT lousy excuse for a sentient being installed 3-pair jacks in several locations DUUURRR

ChikkenNoodul said:
I think you were just lucky with the old one :fly:

Bah, you don't need a duct, rip it out
I think it may provied heat to portions of the upstairs.

ChikkenNoodul said:

I like having the directv people do the installs. I don't want to climb on the roof, buy more cable, buy a multiswitch, etc. I tell them where I want it, and they do it, for free. Its nice.

Our phones are wired in series for the most part. My grandpa in law did it because I didn't see any reason to do it the other way. Each room has a cat5 run as well that we did.

Forrest Dump said:
I ran cat5 and coax to all of our finished rooms, plus speaker wire to our in ceiling speakers. They came back and said I had to enclose the speaker brackets in the ceilings because air and moisture could travel between the living space and the attic. So I spent a few hours on Sunday crawling around in the vaulted ceiling of our kitchen and living room attaching these insulated boxes with caulk to the speaker brackets. Fat guy + slant + tight places = sadnev..:(

Pancake Wagon said:
I like having the directv people do the installs. I don't want to climb on the roof, buy more cable, buy a multiswitch, etc. I tell them where I want it, and they do it, for free. Its nice.

Unless they send an idiot to your house like they did mine

Pancake Wagon said:
I ran cat5 and coax to all of our finished rooms, plus speaker wire to our in ceiling speakers. They came back and said I had to enclose the speaker brackets in the ceilings because air and moisture could travel between the living space and the attic. So I spent a few hours on Sunday crawling around in the vaulted ceiling of our kitchen and living room attaching these insulated boxes with caulk to the speaker brackets. Fat guy + slant + tight places = sadnev..:(

lol
a buddy of mine helped me run the cables, hes like a 5'5" mexican. He fit up in the rafters just fine:p
After that we started calling him our "Attic Monkey". That still pisses him off:lol:

Pancake Wagon said:

Our phones are wired in series for the most part. My grandpa in law did it because I didn't see any reason to do it the other way. Each room has a cat5 run as well that we did.
They did the roof part, but not the internal cabling