MSG and why I hate looking things up online.

taeric

Flaccid Member
May 6, 2005
Marklar
₥0
After a devestating stunt with some sort of stomach virus over the weekend, I found myself starving and only able to eat soups come Saturday evening. I quickly grew tired of the standard Campbell's stuff and switched over to some progresso crap. After downing 3 cans of soup, I found myself with about the worst headache I could imagine. On a whim, I checked the ingredients and saw that msg (monosodium glutomate) was listed as an ingredient on the new stuff.

So, this had me suspicious of that, as I have heard a lot of people complain about that evil stuff. So, today I lookup online and find this wonderful gem from here:

An unknown percentage of the population may react to MSG and develop MSG symptom complex, a condition characterized by one or more of the following symptoms:
burning sensation in the back of the neck, forearms and chest
numbness in the back of the neck, radiating to the arms and back
tingling, warmth and weakness in the face, temples, upper back, neck and arms
facial pressure or tightness
chest pain
headache
nausea
rapid heartbeat
bronchospasm (difficulty breathing) in MSG-intolerant people with asthma
drowsiness
weakness.

So, now I'm left thinking, "lovely, describes me to a T now." Ordinarily, I'm not a hypocondriac (however it is spelled), but I can't stop thinking that I am feeling all of that, with the possible exception of heart rate.

I then find that some people don't understand the difference between MSG and just plain glutomates. As many sites out there want to say that even the campbell's soup contains MSG. (And lets not cover when I compared MSG to salt (pointing out that it is a salt) and had some people jump all over me on how I was wrong.)

Anyway, what all is known about MSG here? Has anyone here ever experienced headaches from it? Also, in related news, are people getting sick everywhere, or is it just where I frequent?

I know that Kojima said that it won't be out till 2008. I still don't think its enough of a reason to buy a PS3, but ... wait ... nevermind.

In HS when we would go to the mall I would ask for MSG on the side at China King/buffet/max whatever it was called. It would seriously piss some workers off to the point of them screaming "nooooo MSG, NO MSG" over and over again. That is all I know of MSG

pregnant people are NOT supposed to have MSG (and looking at the list above, it's obvious why,) and it's used in most chinese restaurants. that's about the extent of my knowledge, other than i know it's a salt.
but keep us posted on what you find!

I get terrible headaches from MSG. They usually last for a few days to.
Maybe "headache" is not the right description, it is more like a soul destroying, stabbing sensation on the left side of head.

Man, this thread makes my mouth water for a good Awesome Blossom still hot from the fryer and covered in fry sauce.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Gah, I'd stab somebody for one of those right now.

Last edited:
MSG is, was, and probably always will be a migraine trigger for me. I have had meals that left me bedridden for days because I forgot to say that one little phrase, "No MSG please".

So, post something pointing out the inaccuracies of the other posts. Preferably mine, as I would like a little more accurate info.

Here is some positive criticism for T: Put pics of Keeley Hazell in every one of your posts, it'll draw more attention to them and make more people like you.

So, post something pointing out the inaccuracies of the other posts. Preferably mine, as I would like a little more accurate info.

Keeley Hazell idea seconded.

You people are fucking touchy eh? I was merely pointing out MSG is in fact "umami". It occurs naturally in tomatoes and seaweed from what I can remember.

Most soups contain MSG, especially Campbells. If you are looking at a chicken based soup it probably contains MSG. If you go to a restaurant and order soup it probably contains MSG. Vegetable, beef, and chicken bouillon has the stuff most of the time. It's tough to find a manufacturer who makes it without MSG. I get migraines from the stuff. Other foods that have it include many chips (like Doritos), chinese food, some fast food (chicken or sausage usually) and lots of processed foods most americans love to eat. Soy sauce and seaweed both have naturally occurring MSG so they don't even have to list it on the labels and many manufactureres of other foods are trying to find ways around putting it on the label by listing it as a "natural flavor".

People getting sick from MSG is not a new thing. It's not just you and it's not just in one area. The good news is that you should feel better in a couple of days once the stuff gets out of you system. I know within minutes if I've accidentally eaten the stuff and I'm usually miserable for a couple of days with a terrible migraine. It sucks cause the stuff tastes soooo good. :(

I hope you feel better.