Halp Moving a domain registration

OzSTEEZ

¡ɟɟo ʞɔnɟ ʇunɔ 'ᴉO
Nov 11, 2008
Oz
Marklar
₥25,442
After so many year making websites and what not, I finally have to (read: want to) move a domain. Never had to do this ever before.

So what is the process? Can the place I wish to move the domain to transfer everything for me?

Hope someone here has had to do this before.

Files?

The server that hosts the files is our own, so we just want to move the domain name..

So I can just register the domain with the new registrar? How would that work when I already have the domain registered?

Every registrar is different, but you'll have to request a transfer. Note: Any time left with the current registrar will be lost.

The costs won't be a problem as it's a work owned domain.

So I have to request a transfer from the current registrar to the new registrar?

Typically you unlock the domain, put in a transfer request, and are given an auth code. Then the new registrar needs the auth code to transfer it...

should be able to do this all automatically at the registrars websites.

Right... well I'm currently trying to go through the process of obtaining the account login info since the last manager didn't have it on file, or not the correct login info.

When I am able to get into the control panel I'll have a look for such a thing..

yes, you'll need to unlock the domain with the current registrar, then put in transfer request with new registrar, then get auth code from current registrar and give to new registrar so they can complete the transfer. (auth code proves you have admin authority and aren't just trying to steal someone else's domain)