Hawt Movies you are excited about

Sous vide popcorn? You're high.

I would be greatly surprised if someone here hasn't tried it and even proclaimed it to be AMAZING!

Because when the kernels are heated to 135f all the way through then you just sear them off at the end to pop them it's so much better you know.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
sous vide at 300F (when popcorn pops) would be interesting considering water at one atm doesnt reach that.

it would require the water to be at about 5 bar/atm of pressure. That pressure is achievable with a 150 foot column of water.

Thats a tall sous vide machine.

also, i wonder if 5bar would be enough to crush the popcorn kernels as soon as they popped. Probably not, its not that much pressure overall.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
a piece of popcorn is about 2cm in diameter if i had to guess. 5 bar exerts ~25lbs of pressure per square cm.

That popcorn is gonna squish

ergo, sous vide popcorn is impossible.

• Gravy
Not enough to prevent it, but I bet it wouldn't pop as much. Kind of puffed corn instead of popped?
mm yeah, its still gonna pop, internal vapor pressure in a kernel is huge, but i think itd get immediately crunched.

135 psi inside a kernel. 10ish bar.

So would there be any end benefit, or detriment, to heating the kernels to close to popping then sending them over the edge at the last minute vs. starting cold and giving a big temperature shock?

Honest question as I think it's cool you guys are looking at this from a science/engineering moisture, temp, pressure type angle.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
So would there be any end benefit, or retirement, to heating the kernels to close to popping then sending them over the edge at the last minute vs. starting cold and giving a big temperature shock?

Honest question as I think it's cool you guys are looking at this from a science/engineering moisture, temp, pressure type angle.
I dont know that you could. Mass is so small, temp difference wouldn't be exactly 300, itd be an incredibly fine line to walk.

• Gravy
I dont know that you could. Mass is so small, temp difference wouldn't be exactly 300, itd be an incredibly fine line to walk.

Cool, thanks.

I would imagine companies that serve movie theaters or Orville Redenbacher or somebody did experimentation with freezing or heating kernels before they hit the oil to make the best, most fluffy, pop but maybe some of those techniques may've been forgone in the interest of easier, cheaper mass production that was "good enough".

Cool, thanks.

I would imagine companies that serve movie theaters or Orville Redenbacher or somebody did experimentation with freezing or heating kernels before they hit the oil to make the best, most fluffy, pop but maybe some of those techniques may've been forgone in the interest of easier, cheaper mass production that was "good enough".
I'd be thrilled with a breed of popping corn which didn't have dead kernels which refuse to pop. Hard on the molars.

• Gravy
Or maybe they got chemists/biologists to engineer the popcorn to work better on the existing equipment instead of the other way around?

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Do you think having a smaller TV might make the overall viewing experience better sitting ~8ft.* Away from it in your dorm room?

*2.5 meters

At some point there has to be a such thing as too big where it's more cumbersome to take in all the information than it would be if the source was smaller.

*Cue sevenmary3

There was a table on CNET dot com that I used to determine what TV to buy the first time around.

You don’t need the link.

• Gravy