Halp Mounting a solar panel

I got the impression that solar power doesn't pay for itself.

No it doesn't, but I am not using panels as a replacement power source. A supplemental if the car is turned off. Like a very low powered generator.

Even as a supplement, the amount of monthly savings from installing solar panels does not exceed the cost of the unit over the unit's economic life.

The only reason I heard this is because it was debated in Hawaii not that long ago. Legislation was passed mandating that all new homes in the state must have solar water heaters. Apparently they aren't economical -- you install them to feel better about using less electricity.

May be in the case of the carputer recharging, it may make more sense, I dunno.

Even as a supplement, the amount of monthly savings from installing solar panels does not exceed the cost of the unit over the unit's economic life.

The only reason I heard this is because it was debated in Hawaii not that long ago. Legislation was passed mandating that all new homes in the state must have solar water heaters. Apparently they aren't economical -- you install them to feel better about using less electricity.

May be in the case of the carputer recharging, it may make more sense, I dunno.

Well, being in a car, it's a bit more off-grid than a house using solar to suppliment the regular power usage model. In my case, if I can get the power consumption down, the solar panels could power the whole carputer without turning the car on AND without draining the battery. Having it charge the battery while the carputer is off is just icing on the cake.

Charge the battery?

that single panel is $350! How many batteries is that? how much gas is that?

how much electricity could that 'carputer' possibly use?

sheesh. I think you're better off with a portable nuclear reactor.

That panel is less than 30W of charge. The carputer from my number crunching is about 30 so it should be covered. There are cheaper panels, too. I would be using the car's battery, not an additional battery, so there wouldn't be any lump in the back to deal with. Just a very small controller inline with the panels and battery connection.

The panel itself is less than 10 lbs.