Ontopic Motorized two wheeled adventures

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
So I have a scooter now which I love. Well, I love the concept of a scooter, and mine is a great model. As I ride it, however, certain features are more important to me than others. And after reading and talking to our most recent squatter, I want to move into adventure riding a bit more. I am starting to think that I want a two-wheeled vehicle that can do long road trips easily as well as can take on gravel or dirt paths like those found in hill countries.

I ride my scooter now for stints of 300+ miles at a time and it's nice. I like it's all around capabilities generally, but it isn't the greatest when the roads aren't pristine.

I am thinking about a Kawasaki Versys, or Suzuki V-Strom 650, or Honda NC700X or CB500X. I sat on all of them except the 500 (not available yet) and they all have different traits I would have to get used to. I can't wait to try on the 500X because I think that will fit my diminutive frame the best.

So here's the strategy: Finish paying off my car and CC (at 0% interest until Nov). This will be around Dec this year. Then sell my current scooter and buy the scooter I really want that removes a lot of the shortcomings of my current scooter. This is the Piaggio BV350. After THAT is paid off, buy an all-arounder bike like above and still keep my scooter.

Thoughts? things I should look for? Am I stupid?

Kawasaki Versys
Versys.jpg

Suzuki V-Strom 650
Suzuki-DL650-ABS-Adventure.jpg

Honda NC700X
2012-Honda-NC700X_001.jpg

Honda CB500X
honda-cb500x-2013.jpg

And the scooter I will be getting, the Piaggio BV350
BV350.jpg

Also, who has a bike here? Stories? What are you riding? what did you ride, what do you want to ride? Good roads you recommend?

If you're concerned about your diminutive frame, you may want to consider a ninja 250. It's a really nice small bike and can be had for about $3k new iirc.

Dude, get the Suzuki 650 Adventure. You will absolutely love those gigantic hard bags. Also it's got crash bars and an adjustable windshield, and the seat height is only 33" so it won't be too big a bike for a man your size. It also looks like it's got a pretty neutral riding position with the option to lean in and take a more aggressive stance. Maybe Chikken can chime in on that since he's got way more experience dealing with standard motorcycles.

Goddamn, it's got a 6 speed too? Seriously, this is a utilitarian machine that I think you will be able to use for years to come.