Motorcycle Thread

BeerAd

Flaccid Member
Aug 15, 2005
Largo, Florida
Marklar
₥0
So I brought it up in another thread but I was planning on making a thread for it anyways so here it goes...

I am giving up my car since it needs way to much work (double the car value) and for a couple months I will not have my own vehicle. We have 2 other vehicles at my house though and one is a ZX11 motorcycle. When my roomie is using his Expedition I can either wait till he gets home or take the bike. I have never attempted to learn how to ride though and dont know what I am in store for. The thing I am concerned about is learning how to ride on such a powerful machine. Everyone that I have talked to said I should learn how to ride on a lesser machine. I cannot because this is the only bike we have. Anyone got any suggestions or pointers from when they learned? My parents have always hated motorcycles so I was never taught to ride. I can ride a dirt bike though but thats comparing 250cc on dirt to 1100cc on cement.

Any thoughts whether joking or serious would be much appreciated.

Don't do it.

I'm 100% serious.

Here's something not as serious....

horrorbeaver.gif

Last edited:
I know you ride...

Why should I not? Or is that based on I shouldnt learn on an 1100? Or is that just cause knyte said 100%?

You shouldn't learn on an 1100. One wrong move and that bike will zing your ass into a parked car. You shouldn't learn the mechanics of riding on a bike that will do zero to sixty in .5 seconds.

You shouldn't learn on an 1100. One wrong move and that bike will zing your ass into a parked car. You shouldn't learn the mechanics of riding on a bike that will do zero to sixty in .5 seconds.

Cool. I really appreciate the input and have been told pretty much the same thing by others.

My buddy has a 600 that he might be able to teach me on, would that be more fitting?

See I have also been told to not worry about the fact that its an 1100 just as long as I take it slow and learn properly. As I know so painfully from dirt bikes, the second you think you know what your doing and get ballzie is the second you hit the ground.

And I will be the first person to say that it scares the shit outta me. I dont trust florida drivers when I have a wall of metal and air bags surrounding me.

Do you ride or have you ever?

I used to ride regularly. After a fairly scary instance earlier this month, and coming to the realization that riding is just not "fun" most of the time, I don't ride much anymore.

Understand that on a motorcycle it doesn't matter how good/responsible of a rider you are, you will always be at the mercy and stupidity of the cage drivers.

I know you ride...

Why should I not? Or is that based on I shouldnt learn on an 1100? Or is that just cause knyte said 100%?

I'm guessing he's saying at the very least not to learn on an 1100. You will kill yourself. INK.

Oh and yes everyone knows I drink a lot but I would NEVER drink and ride a bike just to clear that air.

If you feel it necessary to reaffirm to a bunch of strangers than you probably don't fully believe it on your own. If you've EVER gotten into a car under the influence don't start riding a motorcycle, period.

BeerAd said:
Cool. I really appreciate the input and have been told pretty much the same thing by others.

My buddy has a 600 that he might be able to teach me on, would that be more fitting?

Not really, a 600cc sport bike will kill you just as easily as an 1100 will. A good learner bike would be the Kawi 250R or 500R, at least what I recommend to my friends. Ruthless would probably tell you otherwise, but you can imagine how I would respond to that advice.

haha...

So Update...

I was about to turn my car back into my bank because it was just pointless trying to pay for it and repair it compared to what its actual worth was. I was getting pissed because they hadnt picked it up yet. Went out for a smoke about 20 minutes ago and it was there, went back out a minute ago and it was gone, lol.

They must have a spare key cause i sit right beside the window where my car is 2 feet away and didnt hear or see anything. The receptionist didnt hear or see anything either plus there were no other tire marks in the little dirt behind it.

Anyone know if I can still grab my personal shit outta of it? I heard that you used to not be able to but now you have 30 days. Anyone?

Edit - man I just lost every cd I own if I cant, lol, dam. And my system

Last edited:
Now here's Chikken's opinion :D

You'll be fine on the ZX-11 - honestly the worst feature of it for learning to ride on the street is the weight, you might drop it at a stoplight once or twice.

Practice in a quiet subdivision and parking lots.

Unless you are riding way up in the RPM range, you're not going to hit a bump and fly off the bike from a sudden wheelie. Short shift the sucker.

IMO a modern 600cc sportbike would be a far worse choice, you don't get clues when you're about to go over the edge - the handling is TOO good.

Rule #1 - Always ride like everyone else is out to kill you.

Rule #2 - The day you are no longer a little scared of the bike, it's time to walk away.

You should be able to go to the tow lot and get your personal stuff. Unless you have a system to put back in it (ie stock) they aren't going to let you take that though.

*edit* Why did you even have your stuffs still in it , if you'd told them to come get it lol.

Last edited:
wait, wtf happened to your car?

and I'm shopping for a bike myself at the moment :cool:

Oh nothing. The head gasket has been blown for awhile now so that needs to be taken care of ASAP. My brakes are completely fried, car barely was stopping on its own. When I bought new pads I found out the calipers were shot to shit and I needed to replace the entire braking system. My motor mounts(bushings or whatever) are also shot, transmission is going again because of the head gasket. Pretty much everything, total cost about 3500.

So basically I could fix it for 3500 but its only worth in good condition about 3k and I owe 5200 on it. As you can tell my options were limited so I told the bank I was going to stop paying and they can have it back. They took it today

Oh and I have already put about 3k worth or work into it

Last edited:
You should be able to go to the tow lot and get your personal stuff. Unless you have a system to put back in it (ie stock) they aren't going to let you take that though.

*edit* Why did you even have your stuffs still in it , if you'd told them to come get it lol.

My trunk is broken and I cannot get into it for the system. As for the personal stuff I was told you have 30 days to get it, luckily they were right.