mothers

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
so my baby bird is sick...nothing major, but uncomfortable at night with a stuffy nose and what-not. i went in several times just to get him comfortable again, and he seemed ok with that. like he just wanted me in there for a minute. melts my heart to be so privileged.

but anyway, it made me think about my mother, and what i think of when i think of "mother." i'm almost 32 years old and i still want my mother when i'm sick. she's just comforting. when i think of what distinguishes her from anyone else, it's that comfort.

so what is it that makes your mother your mother? why do you remember her? we don't choose our impressions of people i don't think, and i always wonder if THIS will be the moment my children will remember. or, am i doing this right? is this what a mother does?

My mother is a horrible person who will spend eternity on the icy floor of hell.

My Mamaw on the other hand is a wonder. I was talking to her about this today, that whenever she did anything it was a million times better than when I did it. Like when I was sick she would cook for me, and I could have made the meal a hundred times before but it was better because she made it.

And laundry. Everything was softer and fluffier and lovely.

My son wants me when he's sick. My wife wants me when she's sick too. Her mom is a bitch to her kids when they are sick.

One time in college I got really sick and hallucinated that my mom was taking care of me. It sucked so hard when I realized what was going on. I teared up. My roommate said I kept calling him Mom.

My mom always made sure I drank a lot of fluids and fed me warm soup when I was sick. She just has a very warm personality when it comes to me.

Last edited:
meh, there was a time i wanted my mother when i was sick, but that time has long since passed. probably around the time i hit my teens.

i have a step-mom i wouldn't mind having around when i'm sick though. she makes killer chilli and chikken noodul soup.

Oh Thornie you are the best mom ever cause you're patient and creative and you listen and you have buns of steele.

I'm not sure how the buns help but I'm sure they do!

I feel SO bad for my kids when they are sick that I almost buy them things. Sometimes I have. :/
Well, OK, I bought my little guy some Bakugans on Ebay today, because he's real sick it made me think of things that would make him happy. :)

Basically, I just really baby them, let them have what they want. Ice cream for breakfast or dinner, since we can't always count on them eating ANYthing when they're sick, at LEAST ice cream is a dairy product! :)

I remember my mom being the same way when I was younger. When I had the Chicken Pox at 11, they were a horrid case of them. Every few hours she'd painstakingly sit there and dab every single one with Calamine lotion after a bath. And I sat there whining, "Are you DONE YET?!"

After I had my daughter, I was real sick and had a hard time recovering, due to stress from my husband at the time, etc. She'd offer to babysit ALL of the time. And my daughter was colicky! Weird thing was, she never was for my mom...always well behaved. I was jealous.

Last edited:
i talked to my son tonight on the phone, and he told me he missed me. my parents never went away for more than a night or so, but i imagine i would have felt the same way. it wrecks me everytime i'm away from him, it;s gonna be a long week...i miss his hugs

Call me a brat, but I was never one to tell my parents I missed them as a child. It wasn't until I was in my twenties that I told them I loved them back.

I was a horrible kid. :lol:

My mum was working and absent. I've never hugged my mum, I tried to a couple of years ago and she got in her car and drove off. :lol:

However if I call my mum she will do whatever it is that I need, getting a lift, bringing me something over etc. She does offer to do my laundry but I always decline. When I'm ill my mum will offer to bring me some cough medicine or whatever over which is quite nice. I'm happy with comfort from a large distance when it comes to my mother. :)