Halp Mothers: entre vous, por favor

Mr. Argumentor

I fab shitboxes and shitbox accessories.
Sep 27, 2012
Tampa-ish
Marklar
₥73,249
Steam
asastang
Fathers as well I guess.

So, my best friend's son turned 3 recently-ish. For crimmas I was thinking of getting him something educational that will help him get a jump start on reading.

Anyone have ideas for something leapfrog-esque?

As of right now the child is just learning to read, getting him a book is going to last until he outgrows it. I'm hoping to get him something that will be viable for several years.

not a parent, but board books are sturdier than regular books.

Brown Bear, Brown, Bear, What Do You See?

Books where kids can hear the story/read along with parents, and then can follow the story later on their own without actually being able to read but just following along with the pictures can be really helpful for encouraging literacy.

Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel
9Ccle.jpg

spell-a-word puzzles or spell-it-out puzzles were big-time hits with my kids. it combines phonetics, reading, and a game all in one!

we had a wooden box with a sliding lid, and there were about 20 simple words with pictures that were broken up into a letter per piece..."cake" would have four pieces to it, each with a different letter on it, and when put together, the picture would be a cake! i can't remember who made it, but a good example is to google "ravensburger spell it out" and you'll see what i'm talking about.

and omg if you want a completely incredible place to find really cool/educational stuff for any age group, find yourself a lakeshore store...you'll be blown away by all the cool stuff that you knew of, and that you didn't know of. wowzers.

A few years ago I got my nephew(s) a lovely box set of Roald Dahl books, now Ethan is about 7/8 and Miles is 5 Ethan has started reading them to his younger brother so it was definitely appreciated even if a bit premature. It's still a nice thing to keep in your kids room, and it's not so childish a set that they wouldn't ever want to read it again when they're older. :)

love this book... I'd also recommend

61BiZh-fwVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

leapfrogs are overrated, becomes nothing more than a basic portable computer games, helps with matching I guess but not much with reading. With my kids reading fun stuff, not just kids stuff gets them into it, like we read a book on george lucas movies and snakes and stuff along with the kids stuff...oh and calvin & hobbes, lots and lots of calvin and hobbes

love this book... I'd also recommend

leapfrogs are overrated, becomes nothing more than a basic portable computer games, helps with matching I guess but not much with reading.

I had 2 of my 3 kids basically teach themselves how to read at 3 1/2 years old with leapfrog. The 11 year old is reading at a beyond high school level (test result said grade 12+) and the 8 year old is reading at an 11th grade level. It's all in the programs you buy for the leap pad.

Last edited: