Most amazing RC vehicle I've ever seen

itburnswhenipee said:
Looks pretty cool. With a motor as big as a speed 600 you might want to consider going with a 3 cell li-poly battery. The extra voltage ought to be a nice hop up, and you'll also be saving on weight while getting increased endurance.
Not really thrilled with the cost of Li-Poly and the associated chargers at the moment :p , I think I'll be modifying the location of the battery tray slightly and go with the 8-cell Sanyo that's slightly lighter than the 7-cell

As I've already got a charger that'll do that

I just wasn't sure if I wanted to fully commit to electric versus nitro at this point, particularly when I'd love to have even larger planes with gas engines since I've got my own rather sizeable flying area :D

ChikkenNoodul said:
Not really thrilled with the cost of Li-Poly and the associated chargers at the moment :p , I think I'll be modifying the location of the battery tray slightly and go with the 8-cell Sanyo that's slightly lighter than the 7-cell

As I've already got a charger that'll do that

I just wasn't sure if I wanted to fully commit to electric versus nitro at this point, particularly when I'd love to have even larger planes with gas engines since I've got my own rather sizeable flying area :D

For what it's worth there are li-poly chargers that'll do up to 3 cells for under $30. Not sure what the capacity limit is. Probably between 1 and 1.5 amp hours.
I hear you, though, on the cost of the batteries. I don't think you can get a decent size 3 cell for under $50.

itburnswhenipee said:
For what it's worth there are li-poly chargers that'll do up to 3 cells for under $30. Not sure what the capacity limit is. Probably between 1 and 1.5 amp hours.
I hear you, though, on the cost of the batteries. I don't think you can get a decent size 3 cell for under $50.
Yeah, to be honest I didn't research them much - just saw the battery prices and a couple charges for > $100 and bailed :p

b_sinning said:
I've seen a rc jet on some tv special once. It was so damn fast. And the range was unbelievable. It was a few feet wide. It was on some tlc show.

Eileenbunny and I went to an RC airshow last summer where one guy had a jet. The thing was probably doing 200 miles an hour. And these are actual jet turbines... really small ones, but still the real deal. They cost thousands of dollars too, so I guess you must really be into RC planes before dropping several grand on one motor alone.

itburnswhenipee said:
Eileenbunny and I went to an RC airshow last summer where one guy had a jet. The thing was probably doing 200 miles an hour. And these are actual jet turbines... really small ones, but still the real deal. They cost thousands of dollars too, so I guess you must really be into RC planes before dropping several grand on one motor alone.
Years ago I recall a fellow with a LARGE SR-71 Blackbird model jet :drool:

shawndavid said:
I always laughed at that idea given the fact that your fun runs out if it's below the surface. At that point you just think you have an RC sub.

question: how deep does that remote control submarine go?

answer: all the way.