More console talk.

taeric said:
Are those games any good? I seem to remember an Elder Scrolls from a long time ago. I don't recall liking it.

If you like a free-roaming non-linear type of RPG , then yes, they kickass.
I played morrowind for like a hojillion hours.

Drool-Boy said:
If you like a free-roaming non-linear type of RPG , then yes, they kickass.
I played morrowind for like a hojillion hours.
Did anyone here ever play Warhammer? I wanted to, but my old PC crapped out trying to run the demo. I haven't gotten around to trying it on the new one yet.

I'm playing FEAR currently and so far it's pretty damn good. I hate the invisible ninjas tho with a passion. I passion that drive me to put bullets through their heads. After I finish that I'll load up Civ 4 and give it a whirl.

Never played Morrowind but I sank many an hour into Baldurs Gate.

bast_imret said:
I'm playing FEAR currently and so far it's pretty d*mn good. I hate the invisible ninjas tho with a passion. I passion that drive me to put bullets through their heads. After I finish that I'll load up Civ 4 and give it a whirl.

F.E.A.R. is another game on my list of things to play, but I need to get off my ass and finish HL2 first.

bast_imret said:
I'm playing FEAR currently and so far it's pretty damn good. I hate the invisible ninjas tho with a passion. I passion that drive me to put bullets through their heads. After I finish that I'll load up Civ 4 and give it a whirl.

I tried FEAR but it makes my computer choke.

taeric said:
Ok, we have a game proposed. Any others? It surprises me, even though I know it shouldn't, that there are still so many movie tie-in games produced. They almost universally suck.

I too have to endorse Riddick. I bought it on a whim with no expectations whatsoever, and seriously could not stop playing it. I played until about 3 am on a work night before calling my dad and asking him to fetch a crowbar to pry my ass off my laptop.

edit: I play video games with my ass.

theacoustician said:
F.E.A.R. is another game on my list of things to play, but I need to get off my ass and finish HL2 first.

I never beat HL2. got twards the end, storming the compound, and it got pretty tough. I'm currently stuck in a building surrounded by striders on all sides with troops coming up after me. Can't get out of the dang thing without dying.

bast_imret said:
I never beat HL2. got twards the end, storming the compound, and it got pretty tough. I'm currently stuck in a building surrounded by striders on all sides with troops coming up after me. Can't get out of the dang thing without dying.
The only time I can recall dying so far is when the walls magically collapse on you if you stand around too long (the big black metal ones). It happened a couple of times because I couldn't even figure out what was happening. I would look at something then *squash* and dead. Once I figured out what was happening, I was good to go.

Yea, that scene was interesting. Did you like Ravenholm? It was an interesting departure from the feel of the rest of the game. I really liked the missions where you could control the bugs with the squeezy pheremone pod.

bast_imret said:
Yea, that scene was interesting. Did you like Ravenholm? It was an interesting departure from the feel of the rest of the game. I really liked the missions where you could control the bugs with the squeezy pheremone pod.

Ravenholm was pretty cool
I liked the parts where you drove the dunebuggy around

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2005/tc20051222_242937.htm

Not good news for Sony

But at this point, nobody besides Sony has any idea what the Cell will allow the PS3 to do. Game developers say they haven't seen a prototype that comes close to the blazing processing speeds and life-like graphics of the commercial-ready console Sony is promising. Though Sony declines to comment on such complaints, in November it failed to deliver on a promise to send game creators an upgraded prototype containing a graphics chip made by Santa Clara (Calif.)-based nVidia (NVDA).

Without the souped-up graphics chip, "the machine we have is 10 times slower than the PS3 should be," says an exec at a game software maker who spoke on condition of anonymity. "The graphics chip was supposed to be ready by November. But we're still waiting."

I think its odd that the PS3 relies so heavily on its graphics processor considering what the Cell is supposed to be able to do.

theacoustician said:

Where exactly was the bad news? This is simply fluff stating that, lo and behold, the ps3 probably won't replace the PC as your main computer. One of the comments even pointed to this article. Same thing. This is more indicative of businessweek not knowing what they are talking about and looking for sensationalism than anything else.

theacoustician said:
I think its odd that the PS3 relies so heavily on its graphics processor considering what the Cell is supposed to be able to do.

This is no different than any computer or any other console. The cell is supposed to be incredibly powerful, yeah, but so is the latest Intel chip. They aren't replacing graphics cards anytime soon. If anything, all they are doing is realizing that a fully general purpose CPU is not the best way to do something.