More console talk.

theacoustician said:
Yes you did. Night before bast got married. Remember?

You sure I played? I remember being very sick in those days.

And I guess I should expand it to say that I never played it significantly. I unlocked everything in the first. Never owned the others to unlock anything.

I think Virtua Fighter turned me off of 3d fighters for a while. It is neat, but too damned complicated.

taeric said:
You sure I played? I remember being very sick in those days.

And I guess I should expand it to say that I never played it significantly. I unlocked everything in the first. Never owned the others to unlock anything.

I think Virtua Fighter turned me off of 3d fighters for a while. It is neat, but too d*mned complicated.
Yes, although you may have been too trashed to remember. I remember sitting there and beating everybody by quickly smashing random buttons. I remember then announcing my strategy and getting eat shit looks from everyone who had "skillz".

theacoustician said:
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=0&cId=3146281

That's a pretty good read. If nothing else, I'd like to sit down with J and play some games with him. I dunno if its real or a very well rehersed act, but he seems to be a real deal gamer where Kaz comes off more as a businessman who's just working his market.

With J? That guy comes accross to me as a complete tool. Especially if you've ever seen pictures of when he decided to look all hardcore video game savvy.

Kaz... I've never really heard of.

taeric said:
With J? That guy comes accross to me as a complete tool. Especially if you've ever seen pictures of when he decided to look all hardcore video game savvy.

Kaz... I've never really heard of.
If by tool you mean goofy mofo, I'd agree. He comes across (either real or scripted) as someone who actually likes to play video games though. I think he's the first exec I've gotten that vibe from. Read anything by Nintendo or Sony and you get the feeling that the people who they interview aren't exactly playing the games all that much. If they are, its a more mechanical exercise than its something they do for entertainment or fun. Actually, the impression I generally get from these companies are

Sony : engineers and businessmen
Nintendo : artists, probably use Macs
Xbox crew (not the rest of MS) : programmers and gamers

That isn't really good or bad for any company, mind you. Just the perspective I hear in my head when I read things like this.

theacoustician said:
If by tool you mean goofy mofo, I'd agree. He comes across (either real or scripted) as someone who actually likes to play video games though. I think he's the first exec I've gotten that vibe from. Read anything by Nintendo or Sony and you get the feeling that the people who they interview aren't exactly playing the games all that much. If they are, its a more mechanical exercise than its something they do for entertainment or fun. Actually, the impression I generally get from these companies are

Sony : engineers and businessmen
Nintendo : artists, probably use Macs
Xbox crew (not the rest of MS) : programmers and gamers

That isn't really good or bad for any company, mind you. Just the perspective I hear in my head when I read things like this.

I guess I'm just such a cynic that I don't see MS being full of gamers. Just as I don't buy it when a politician says they relate to me. No matter how much they try. In fact, that is the perfect analogy to me, MS shows a lot of politicians to us. It just so happens that they are American politicians and no better how to appeal to us. I mean, do you really think the Spike VGA thing was anything other than bullshit?

Nintendo just keeps their mouth shut most of the time, and Sony just doesn't know how to not speak from authority right now. (Oddly, about 10 years ago Nintendo was in that situation. Didn't exactly work well for them.)

Edit: To reiterate. I'd be surprised if J actually plays video games. He just wants to "relate" to the video game playing people he is trying to sell to so that they will buy more. It is almost definitely scripted.

taeric said:
Edit: To reiterate. I'd be surprised if J actually plays video games. He just wants to "relate" to the video game playing people he is trying to sell to so that they will buy more. It is almost definitely scripted.
That's why I gave allowance for if its real or scripted. That's also why I want to sit down with him and play and find out if he's the real deal. Other companies don't even try to pretend that they play games.

If he isn't playing games, I want to know who's been logging into his Live account. Its got some serious hours on it and there's some interesting trash talk there as well.

theacoustician said:
That's why I gave allowance for if its real or scripted. That's also why I want to sit down with him and play and find out if he's the real deal. Other companies don't even try to pretend that they play games.

If he isn't playing games, I want to know who's been logging into his Live account. Its got some serious hours on it and there's some interesting trash talk there as well.

I wouldn't be too surprised if that is as much a cultural thing as anything else. Microsoft has been trying to relate since day one on the gaming front. Nintendo and Sony have always been more of a "let the gamers play."

I, myself, am holding out for the ps3. I'm going to remain loyal to sony, they've not wronged me yet and have proven to be might superior.

Ryokurin said:
http://files.filefront.com/MGS4_PS3_Devkit_Demo_Eng_subs/;4440530;;/fileinfo.html

I admit I didnt download the bigger version but this shows the engineers interacting with snake within the dev kit. Very nice.

Ok, that video scares me. I am honestly impressed with how good that demo looks. I wonder if they have optimized the engine to extreme amounts already, or if things will only get better.

I, myself, am holding out for the ps3. I'm going to remain loyal to sony, they've not wronged me yet and have proven to be might superior.

I wouldn't say that about Sony. They are just as crooked as Nintendo and Microsoft. I just don't see the compelling need to trust the others over them. They do seem to be friendlier to 3rd party developers, and they aren't coming across as ... slimey to me. So, I guess I do like the PS division of Sony better than either of the others.

Still, I don't think much will surprise me right now.

taeric said:
Ok, that video scares me. I am honestly impressed with how good that demo looks. I wonder if they have optimized the engine to extreme amounts already, or if things will only get better.
I wasn't impressed till they got to playing with the dude on the LCD. The render in the render is pretty damn cool. The rest of it I've seen people do here on existing video effects machines.

Comparison : Gears of War demo. I like the need to use cover and the "roadie cam" effect. The blood spattering is stupid though. Still looks neat.

http://files.filefront.com/gearsofwar+zerohourwmv/;4466258;;/fileinfo.html

theacoustician said:
I wasn't impressed till they got to playing with the dude on the LCD. The render in the render is pretty damn cool. The rest of it I've seen people do here on existing video effects machines.

I've seen stuff like that done before, too. Just not on anything near that detailed. Especially on hardware that is less than a couple of years old. This is supposed to have been done on alpha hardware. Not to mention how much did the machines we've seen this done on before cost?

Comparison : Gears of War demo. I like the need to use cover and the "roadie cam" effect. The blood spattering is stupid though. Still looks neat.

Downloading that now.

taeric said:
I've seen stuff like that done before, too. Just not on anything near that detailed. Especially on hardware that is less than a couple of years old. This is supposed to have been done on alpha hardware. Not to mention how much did the machines we've seen this done on before cost?
Don't know about the other machines and I have no idea what's in the PS3 dev kit that isn't going to be on the consumer PS3. Makes it a tough call.

theacoustician said:
Don't know about the other machines and I have no idea what's in the PS3 dev kit that isn't going to be on the consumer PS3. Makes it a tough call.

Fair enough. Way too much unknown, but I'm still impressed by the video.

I watched some of the GoW video. Looks rather nice. I wasn't able to pay too much attention to the shadowing to know how well it is done. I can say that that would have given the wow factor the 360 is currently lacking.

taeric said:
Fair enough. Way too much unknown, but I'm still impressed by the video.

I watched some of the GoW video. Looks rather nice. I wasn't able to pay too much attention to the shadowing to know how well it is done. I can say that that would have given the wow factor the 360 is currently lacking.
True, but I'm giving a bit of an allowance since it
1. was shot on a hand cam and the image was blown up to epic proportions
2. they said they only had the final dev kit for the 360 for two weeks when they built that demo
3. bonus points for it being real in-game play

theacoustician said:
True, but I'm giving a bit of an allowance since it
1. was shot on a hand cam and the image was blown up to epic proportions
2. they said they only had the final dev kit for the 360 for two weeks when they built that demo
3. bonus points for it being real in-game play

Don't get me wrong, I'm impressed by it. I said that would definitely be the wow factor the 360 needed. However, I don't give them any bonus points for any of the things you listed. I guess I'm a hard ass when it comes to games. :)