More console talk.

taeric

Flaccid Member
May 6, 2005
Marklar
₥0
So, I saw this posted in another forum talking about the PS3. I'm not entirely sold that this is all rendered in real time. However, I can definitely say this would give me the "wow" factor that a lot of people say the 360 doesn't deliver. What say the game lovers here?

(Be warned, the file to download is 300 something megs. )

it's the same idea they were touting at E3, and I don't buy into it. i don't think they will have the game developers buying into that kind of system, and i think if they did it the price would far outweigh the benefits of that caliber real time rendering.

F33nX said:
it's the same idea they were touting at E3, and I don't buy into it. i don't think they will have the game developers buying into that kind of system, and i think if they did it the price would far outweigh the benefits of that caliber real time rendering.

What idea are you talking about?

SpangeMonkee said:
I really don't see the problem with pre-rendering. As long as the outcome works, I don't care how they do it.

The only reason I would be against pre-rendering is that that is supposed to be in game graphics. If it is prerendered, it is clearly not in game. :)

Seriously, though, if that is in game. Wow.

I.C.Water said:
didnt watch the vid but i keep hearin the ps3 is gunna be around 600 bucks i would hope it's got some wow effect

I've heard the same rumors and speculation (funny that speculation is somehow more reliable..). I don't buy it. I think it may go the $400 route, but even that will surprise me some. Depending on what features they keep, of course.

SpangeMonkee said:
I really don't see the problem with pre-rendering. As long as the outcome works, I don't care how they do it.

Because typically pre-rendered graphics means on-rails gameplay. If thats so then we are in for another generation of games similar to the early 90s when no doubt things looked awesome, but the game play was good for only one time play and no real interactive works at all.

I haven't discounted the revolution simply because of the controller and their displacement mapping patent. If they managed a way of pulling it off without a major hit on processor time (which has previously been the case) then they definitely have no problem competeing with the others even on weaker hardware.
http://www.playbomb.com/2005/12/11/124/nintendo-displacement-mapping-patents-discoverec/

taeric said:
I feel I'm the only one that hasn't swallowed the magic kool-aid on that one. Grr...

I just want to play that god of cookery style game they showed in the video commercial/preview, lol

CHOP CHOP CHOP CHOP!

taeric said:
So, I saw this posted in another forum talking about the PS3. I'm not entirely sold that this is all rendered in real time. However, I can definitely say this would give me the "wow" factor that a lot of people say the 360 doesn't deliver. What say the game lovers here?

(Be warned, the file to download is 300 something megs. )
I would love for this to be true, but wasn't "real time rendering" promised on the PS2? Weren't they already busted at E3 for showing a bunch of prerendered video and claiming it was real?

Either its going to do what it says and be "Neo-Geo" expensive or they're stretching the truth and it'll be on par with the 360 in cost.

theacoustician said:
I would love for this to be true, but wasn't "real time rendering" promised on the PS2? Weren't they already busted at E3 for showing a bunch of prerendered video and claiming it was real?

The PS2 followed through on all that was realistically promised. The whole "toy story" quote wasn't even made by Sony or any developers. But the scene showing the dancing from FF8 which was shown in "real time" was easily surpassed by FF10. So, it may take a while, but I see no reason to believe otherwise.

Granted, I'm not completely sold that that was real time.

taeric said:
The PS2 followed through on all that was realistically promised. The whole "toy story" quote wasn't even made by Sony or any developers. But the scene showing the dancing from FF8 which was shown in "real time" was easily surpassed by FF10. So, it may take a while, but I see no reason to believe otherwise.

Granted, I'm not completely sold that that was real time.
WTF was up with the ending of that video? "Let me show you what it can do ..." and then the video ends? What crap. Plotline had me hooked though.