moral question

Almost every store has a lost 'n found department, that's where I'd take it if it was in or near a store.

I sure wish someone had done that for my wife when she lost her law school ring. Or for me when I lost my gloves.

The only people that typically find anything of value in a lost and found is the shady employee running it.

Why wouldn't you take it if you saw it sitting there on a trash can? I don't get it.

That doesn't mean it was intended to be thrown away. Maybe it was placed there temporarily so the owner could scratch their crotch, and then an airliner piloted by a durka durka crashed through the skylight and everyone took off screaming before it could be reclaimed.

I think the media doing that to fabricate a story, then calling everyone in the US selfish dishonest whores is stupid, but in all reality, if I saw a bag sitting on a bench, I would probably leave it as is (if it's a wallet or keys, I would try to return them to the nearest store). If I saw an ipod in a bag on top of a trashcan, that I might just take.

A few years ago I helped the security department here with an application named returnity. It was for tracking lost and found. Way over priced and crappy. Anyways, they asked me to put a link to the found database on everyone's desktop at the school. I said nope and they got pissed at me. I explained that if all you did was show everyone what was found then people would picking up stuff nonstop that wasn't theirs because they knew what to ask for. I blew their minds. They had to call a departmental meeting to discuss this disturbing concept I had presented to them. Dumbasses. Here it is a few years later and I don't do that type of work anymore and just the other day someone asked me if I knew how to fix returnity because they still haven't figured out how to make it work right.

Trashcans have become ornate platforms with holes in them though. At the malls in Dallas, for example, they look like something a tree should be growing from. I've set things on top of them before while talking to people, just because they're the size of a friggin' table. If I walked away and forgot something that's my problem, but it doesn't mean I intended to throw away a bag of stuff for no reason. How many people throw away an iPod? I think it's safe to say that probably wasn't the intent, and therefore common sense should probably factor in to your decision at some point.

A few years ago I helped the security department here with an application named returnity. It was for tracking lost and found. Way over priced and crappy. Anyways, they asked me to put a link to the found database on everyone's desktop at the school. I said nope and they got pissed at me. I explained that if all you did was show everyone what was found then people would picking up stuff nonstop that wasn't theirs because they knew what to ask for. I blew their minds. They had to call a departmental meeting to discuss this disturbing concept I had presented to them. Dumbasses. Here it is a few years later and I don't do that type of work anymore and just the other day someone asked me if I knew how to fix returnity because they still haven't figured out how to make it work right.

Stories like this depress me. They remind me that people are basically monkeys with pants.

a) I can't take it in the bagel place b/c they are most likely going to take it and b) I can't leave it because then the next person that drives up will take it.

Exactly. Those kids at the "customer service counter" aren't gonna give it to anyone who walks in asking for it and someone else will certainly pick it up. Wh ynot chalk it up to fate that day .. that fate was on your side for once :lol:.

I'm not gonan go rambling through someone purse or anything though. If I see a purse on a bench .. it's staying on teh bench .. I don't wanna get caught holding it and someone say I stole it.

I at least try to find somewhere to turn it in.... that said, I've found a great coffee table book about WW2 airplanes in the Costco parking lot (not one they sold at the time!), a Pillsbury Dough Boy toy at the movie theater parking lot, and a few random nickels and dimes here and there.

The best turn in ever for me though, was at a gun show a few years back, and some dude dropped $2500 in cash on the floor...... I was apparently the only person who saw it and who it came from, so I gave it to him :)

I think he was more surprised that someone actually gave it back.... my friends that I was with thought I was pretty stupid for doing so.

Only because of the amounts of alcohol we could have bought with said $2500.

yeah but if someone's carrying around 2500 in cash it's probably not the type of guy you want to rip off

edit: at a gun show no less :lol: