Thread Moral Gray Area

OzSTEEZ

¡ɟɟo ʞɔnɟ ʇunɔ 'ᴉO
Nov 11, 2008
Oz
Marklar
₥25,442
Saw this image on reddit, and it really sparked some serious thought for me.

gaH0y.png

What are you thoughts on this area?

Discrimination against those who discriminate?

What does your conscious tell you to do in this situation?

So you take the steer clear approach? That's fine, and ultimately what I would find myself doing I suppose.

I feel I can not defend someone morally from something they do themselves.

I guess I am confused; what's the dilemma? They are building a center to gather people of similar beliefs and faiths to do whatever that faith or belief system dictates in closed doors. Could be Muslim. Could be Buddhist. Could be the board room at Walmart. As long as it doesn't impact anyone OUTSIDE of those doors, who cares?

When it does, however, I would like to voice my opinions.

i don't think defending their right is the same as supporting an oppressor. I don't support WBC but I would defend their right to be the worthless douchebags they are. same with durka durkas; they're no better than any other religion but they still have the same rights as all the others. I would defend the building of a catholic church and a jewish synagogue on either side of the ground zero mosque of doom

My conscious tells me it's none of my business.

Just reading essentially that in Ron Paul's latest book. According to him, as long as its non-violent, people should be able to discriminate against whoever they want, as long as they can deal with the (non-violent) repercussions. To force people (and their businesses) to something they don't want to fringes on their individual liberty.

Never really thought about it, but yet again - he's right.

but that limits abuse only to violence unless one stretches the definition of violence to fraud, deception and thievery

The idea that discrimination is only wrong when it's violent ignores all the other ways discrimination can negatively affect people. It should be considered just as morally reprehensible for one's method of discrimination to be a case of fraud or deception. If a doctor gives a bad cancer diagnosis to a guy because he doesn't like muslims, it's a non-violent action but no better than if he straight up assaulted him. If an accountant intentionally ruins a guy financially because he's black or gay or mexican it's non-violent but still wrong. Paul's ideas on individual liberty are taken to the absurd extreme of objectivism. Reminds me of the idiots that say all taxation is just government theft with the threat of violence, no different than them stealing your wallet.

Individual liberty is awesome but when taken to the extreme "fuck the rest of you, I'm the only one who's important" it turns into some bullshit randian fantasy.

yeah i don't know, it's been a long day and I haven't slept since yestarday

fuck it, lets all get naked and eat cheerios

It's unfair to label any group of people who subscribe to a particular religious belief misogynistic or homophobic, despite what the religion may preach. While the religion may include misogynistic of homophobic tendencies, those are generally only a part of the entirety of the teachings of the religion, and it's unfair to assume that someone who practices that religion accepts it 100%.

It's unfair to label any group of people who subscribe to a particular religious belief misogynistic or homophobic, despite what the religion may preach. While the religion may include misogynistic of homophobic tendencies, those are generally only a part of the entirety of the teachings of the religion, and it's unfair to assume that someone who practices that religion accepts it 100%.

You're only saying that because you practice beardism