Moon Bombing

b_sinning

Erect Member
Nov 22, 2004
Savannah, GA
Marklar
₥10
"If you have nothing to do on Friday, October 9, at 7:31AM Eastern/4:31AM Pacific, reserve that spot for some serious space fireworks. At that time you can see how NASA bombs the Moon from orbit..."

"The Cabeus crater was selected because it's likely to show definitive proof of water in the moon, based on the information from the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, Lunar Prospector, Chandrayaan-1, and JAXA's Kaguya spacecraft. The bombing is designed to measure the proportion of water—ice to dust ratio—in lunar regolith"

"The effects of the impact—a plume projected to be thirty miles high—will be observable from Earth using telescopes larger than 10 inches."

http://gizmodo.com/5376774/how-to-watch-the-moon-bombing-in-real-time

I know they are doing this to look for water but I've read too much SciFi to think this is a good idea. Didn't Thundarr the Barbarian show us that bad things happen when the moon is damaged?

WTF, who thinks it's okay to just fucking bomb the moon. Fucking idiots.

I wonder if shit will hit the fan and all our tides will fuck up because they blast off 1/4 of the moon or some shit. As if the world aint angry with you enough. YAY TSUNAMI!`

You realize it's not a bomb, right? It's just a left over rocket motor that they are going to look at the impact cloud afterwords for a better spectro analysis of the moons surface. There won't even be an explosion, just kinetic impact effects

jesus people.

You realize it's not a bomb, right? It's just a left over rocket motor that they are going to look at the impact cloud afterwords for a better spectro analysis of the moons surface. There won't even be an explosion, just kinetic impact effects

jesus people.

I have no faith in anything to do with space science stuff, what percentage of that stuff goes wrong?

I have no faith in anything to do with space science stuff, what percentage of that stuff goes wrong?

has nothing to do with faith. Has everything to do with physics.

Do you really think crashing something smaller than a short bus into the moon is going to do anything to it at all? Something that is roughy 25% the size of earth, getting hit by a bus?

Just use a little common sense here.

has nothing to do with faith. Has everything to do with physics.

Do you really think crashing something smaller than a short bus into the moon is going to do anything to it at all? Something that is roughy 25% the size of earth, getting hit by a bus?

Just use a little common sense here.

Well if the physics was right nothing would ever go wrong, OBVIOUSLY.

And secondly I have no fucking idea how big the moon is, smaller than earth, bigger than my bath tub, that's all I know. And like I said, I don't trust any of this stuff until it's proven to have worked right.

•Equatorial radius is 1,738.14 km or 1,080 miles

•Equatorial diameter is 3,476.28 km or 2,160 miles
•Surface area is 3.793 x 107 km2
•Volume is 2.195 8 × 1010 km³

•Mass is 7.734 x 1022 kg
•Gravity is 1.622 m/s2

The moon is approximately 1/4 of earths diameter, 1/80th of earths mass and 1/50th of earths volume.

The gravity of the moon is 1/6th's of earths.

See, you can post figures but they mean nothing to me. I can see about 100metres away, why in the hell would I know how big 1,080miles is???? Anyway I'm reserving judgment until the moon falls onto the earth and kills everyone and it's all YOUR fault Duke.

Well if the physics was right nothing would ever go wrong, OBVIOUSLY.

And secondly I have no fucking idea how big the moon is, smaller than earth, bigger than my bath tub, that's all I know. And like I said, I don't trust any of this stuff until it's proven to have worked right.

Ever see the news stories of cars hitting homes. Sure, a wall of the home gets proper fucked, but overall, the house is still standing. Just got a big hole in it.

Now put something with a circumference of 6785 miles or so, and run that same car into it. What do you think will happen to the bigger object?

Ever see the news stories of cars hitting homes. Sure, a wall of the home gets proper f*cked, but overall, the house is still standing. Just got a big hole in it.

Now put something with a circumference of 6785 miles or so, and run that same car into it. What do you think will happen to the bigger object?

Fuck knows, I'm not a physicist. I guess it probably wouldn't do too much damage, except if the moon is actually full of some unstable gases and they don't like it too much etc.