Mom + sister + dead cat = Going to be a long night

wr3kt

Flaccid Member
Oct 15, 2004
Marklar
₥0
I come to my room after getting out of the shower when Romeo, our white cat comes up to my open door. I don't want him in my room, so I close the door, well, while I'm putting on some clothes, I hear thumping outside my door and just think it's Romeo pouncing our other cat, Spaz. I see his legs extending under the door and spasming a little. Still think it's them playing. I open the door and see it's just him and he's on his side, spasming, two legs extended and the other two curled up to his chest and he's breathing wierd. I start petting him and feeling for a heart beat on his chest and get nothing. I try and pump his chest and I feel fluids with each pump. He's dead.
My first reaction; "What the fuck".
I've been through over 10 pet/animal deaths and this one was fucking wierd. He was a young cat, indoor, and healthy from what we could tell. I'm not in shock that he's dead, just that in less than 1 mintues he went from fine to dead. Friggin' wierd. I call up my mom at work, but get her voice-mail and leave a message that she needs to call me back soon. I try to find a vet nearby where I could at least ask what could cause this. 6 vet numbers; 3 disconnected, 1 is some mexican's house, 2 are closed. Fuck that.
I call up my step-dad while he's at work, ask him if they have a vet and what the name is, then I tell him that Romeo had just died. He goes, "Oh no...your mother is going to not like this." We talk. I need to either bury him or take him to the vet to figure out wtf happened. We hang up and he's going to try to call my mom. I call my dad since I know they have a vet for the god knows how many animals they have, he says he'll call the vet but an autopsy will probablly be free.
Keep in mind I've left the cat right where he died since I'm just trying to figure out what the fuck I'm going to do. I hear steps, turn around and see Spaz sitting in front of me. I'm like...godammit. Pick him up, take him downstairs and throw him in the garage. My step-dad calls to say he's taken off the rest of the day and is coming back so we can take care of this. Neither of us are so much upset that Romeo died, we were/are, but our biggest concern was breaking this to my mom, and then my sister. Already I'm thinking "This is going to be a looooooooooong night".
So...I hear the phone ring, check the caller ID and it's my mom. I pick up, she asks me what's happened and all I can say is "Uhm...(pause)...Romeo just died." Her - "...what." I tell her what happened she says she's coming right home but I tell her Tommy is coming over, I had called my dad about an autopsy, and that we're taking care of it and she does not need to worry about that, just stay there and finish the day. She's down to saying "ok" and "thanks" to everything I'm saying. She asks if I've told my sister and I said no. She says I shouldn't and I say ok and I'll talk to her later.
Step-dad calls, says the lowest it's going to cost for an autopsy is $700 around here. That's out.
I call up dad to confirm the free autopsy and he says he called the vet and said it was fine. Vet also said he had an idea that he had died of a heart attack. :wtf: Wow. So during all this I had filled a styrafoam cooler with ice, put the cat in bags, and put him in the cooler. Step-dad gets here and is talking to my mom. He's telling me we can't do anything until mom gets here and somehow gets my sister over tonight. We need to get the cat autopsied in case it's not a heart attack so we can watch for warning signs for our other cat, but...I can't do anything because my mom wants to tell my sister so she doesn't become traumitized. Gah...
So my step-dad are sitting around waiting for the bomb to hit tonight. Taking the other cat in for a full checkup tomorrow morning and most likely, unless my sister doesn't like the thought of her cat being autopsied and not being returned and doesn't want that(which is probably going to happen *sigh*), taking Romeo to vet.

Useless Notes:
1. Cat dies randomly
2. I call Mom. No answer. Call step-dad.
3. Call for vets but none available
4. Call dad to get their vet name and number. Later, vet tells dad it was probably heart attack.
5. Mom calls, tell her. She doesn't want me to tell sister.
6. Step-dad gets here. Can't take vet to get autopsy because sister my get traumitized(with her it is possible)
7. Just waiting for the bomb that is mom and sister getting home to dead cat.
8. ...
9. Long fucking night ahead

NeedMoreEmo said:
Thanks for the cliffs :heart:

I cried when my first cat and hamster died, the next 40 or so went without me noticing much.

Pfft...I'm sad he died.
Not going to lose sleep over it.
I'm going to lose sleep because of my mom and sister bawling.

LOL WORDS...

no really, thats a lot of words.. but I read the notes. Sorry about your cat.

Awwwww :(

Sad, but unfortunately pets do die sometimes without warning, that's the way it is. I've had too damned many pets die, and my kids have gone through the deaths of several pets.

How old is your sister? Yes, she probably will be a bit traumatized, but she will be OK after a while. Someone will have to tell her, and I don't envy the person who has that job at all.

i'm sure there's a vietnamese restaurant in the area that could turn this event into a little extra cash in your pocket..

j/k, always sucks losing a pet. :p <3

i was sad when my kittah died too.. never got a new one to replace it..

dreamwalker said:
Awwwww :(

Sad, but unfortunately pets do die sometimes without warning, that's the way it is. I've had too damned many pets die, and my kids have gone through the deaths of several pets.

How old is your sister? Yes, she probably will be a bit traumatized, but she will be OK after a while. Someone will have to tell her, and I don't envy the person who has that job at all.

She's 20.

FlyNavy said:
i'm sure there's a vietnamese restaurant in the area that could turn this event into a little extra cash in your pocket..

j/k, always sucks losing a pet. :p <3

Fly cad!