Ontopic Mission to Uranus

Are you kidding? That isn’t up and running yet? I wonder sometimes if they intentionally drag their heels and other shenanigans to create deterrents via Internet posts etc? WTF
He's probably bumped himself down the list each time he calls the permit office demanding someone come out and look at his junk.

It almost sounds like escaping the Matrix* would be easier than detaching, even partway, from the grid.

*always reminded me of what it would be like to be flushed down a toilet.

• Haha
Reactions: wetwillie
Are you kidding? That isn’t up and running yet? I wonder sometimes if they intentionally drag their heels and other shenanigans to create deterrents via Internet posts etc? WTF

They made a design change, moved to panels from the back of the house to the front, and didn't update the permit. They said because it was the same solar capacity the permit would be fine.

Failed the inspection on 11/18/19 and the county sat on the application to alter. Now they're trying to get a permit approved and released. Electrical has been denied 3 times so far.

Haven't made the final payment yet, so it's not like they're unmotivated to finish.

I suspect this will cost them a bunch of money to resolve.

Meanwhile there is a physical padlock on the system because the engineer dummy left the system on and the meter was spinning backwards. You need a proper NetMeter, but that won't go in until the shit is inspected.

• Sad
Reactions: Immigrant
Here in civilization you do.
No, you don't. The meter spins backward as accurately as it spins forward.

If you're using the opportunity to "upgrade" to a smart meter that the meter reader can get with a radio, that's not a "net metering" meter, it's just a smart meter.

There is no special meter for net metering. At best, you end up with two meters - one that reads the output of the solar and one that "spins backwards" for the service entrance. At worst, you end up with just the service entrance meter, which is. no. different. than. a. regular. meter.

But hey, what do I know, I've only had one inspected and running for 3 years.

Let me know when yours gets inspected in 3 years time.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
No, you don't. The meter spins backward as accurately as it spins forward.

If you're using the opportunity to "upgrade" to a smart meter that the meter reader can get with a radio, that's not a "net metering" meter, it's just a smart meter.

There is no special meter for net metering. At best, you end up with two meters - one that reads the output of the solar and one that "spins backwards" for the service entrance. At worst, you end up with just the service entrance meter, which is. no. different. than. a. regular. meter.

But hey, what do I know, I've only had one inspected and running for 3 years.

Let me know when yours gets inspected in 3 years time.

You’re wrong.

They want to accurately see the power going in both directions. We’ll have one combination digital net meter that they’ll come put in.
lolol, so you'll have a combination meter that does what my solar output meter does and my service entrance meter does in one unit. Doesn't mean you have to have it. Just that's what your idiot contractor spec'd one, or it's required by local code. NEC doesn't specify one way or t'other.

Well, have fun with that, whenever it gets green-tagged. I bet we'll be launching missions to Uranus by then.

lolol, so you'll have a combination meter that does what my solar output meter does and my service entrance meter does in one unit. Doesn't mean you have to have it. Just that's what your idiot contractor spec'd one, or it's required by local code. NEC doesn't specify one way or t'other.

Well, have fun with that, whenever it gets green-tagged. I bet we'll be launching missions to Uranus by then.

not that I give two squirts about this argument, but Im sure the rules & regs vary wildly from state to state

The utility requires it.

How do you hold a job?