Ontopic Mission to Uranus

yeah, the chantilly one, Udvar Hazy. So much nicer than the one on the mall.

Theyve got the Enola Gay, a Concorde, the shuttle, and an SR71 (plus a gazillion other planes)
Don't think I've ever been to that one. I mostly stopped going to them when I was a kid and I don't think that one was around. Its the Annex, right?

We’re getting there. Awesome.

I’m pretty sure had I been injured 40 years from now, they would’ve fitted me with a robut limb the first surgery instead of this shit.

I can’t love that post enough. Thanks Asa

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
The ISS now has an oven.

They baked chocolate chip cookies!

The hatebox was all over that yesterday. Fuckin morons. They can’t see the forest blah blah. Fuckin assholes. They have no understanding of science, so it’s bad. They’re totally okay with religion though.

wait, people were really complaining that they baked cookies? Thats on the level of obamadjionmustardgate dumb

We are talking about people who claim science is fake and an education is something to mock, so yes, they can’t see anything good coming from experiments in space.

Unfortunately we were completely clouded over yesterday and didn't get to see the Mercury transit across the Sun. Here's a FB album of people who were very lucky to see it:

Here's my friend's imaging telescope setup. He moves the scope to his front lawn, connects a small computer to it, and remotely controls the scope from inside his house. Pretty neat stuff. Probably about $4000 worth of gear right here on the telescope. And yes that's a huge lathe in the background that he needs to disassemble and move into his basement workshop.

20191111_112504_small.jpg

Some of the machinists in the forum here might appreciate this. Here is our astronomy club's next project: a Tri-Shiefspiegler telescope. A unique 3-mirror design. A 10" primary mirror, 5" secondary mirror and 5" tertiary mirror. Not many of these scopes in the US, probably a couple dozen.

This one will have the effective focal length of a 8" F/20 refractor (a telescope that would be 200" long, and tens of thousands of dollars). A club member did all of the fabrication work. Square tube aluminum welded together, wanted the scope to be as light weight as possible. We're debating about using that fabric as a light blocking shroud for the sides vs finishing the sides with the foamboard like the top has right now. This should be one amazing telescope once it is assembled and gets first light. Maybe by the end of the year. Another club member is cleaning up the wooden fork mount (by the tool chest). Once that is done, it should be ready to have mirrors installed, colimate the mirrors, and then first light. Maybe by the end of the year.

20191111_110420_HDR_small.jpg