Ontopic Mission to Uranus

Held the first of hopefully many more star parties at my house this past Saturday night. I think 15 people showed up, including one new member who joined our Facebook group, and a long time member who hasn't been active while working on home renovations. One of the astronomy club members took some photos of the event. She's got a good eye for composition, unfortunately she forgot her tripod at home for longer exposure pictures.

65272512_1592014310932788_115837144873828352_o.jpg
Jupiter shining bright. Can also see the Trifid Nebula and Omega Nebula just barely in this photo. Possibly a meteor as well (I'm in a major flight path for international flights, so that might just be a plane).
65311440_1592015340932685_3008594856789409792_o.jpg
7 telescopes were setup for viewing.

65321712_1592015577599328_1045265357603864576_o.jpg

65655969_1592013990932820_7634851066437173248_o.jpg
Probably my favorite picture.

Orion is one strange looking launch system

iY5yPRIY-1440x939.jpeg

Uses deprecated peacekeeper icbm missile boosters to clear the hardest part of the launch, then discards them and a comparatively tiny booster carries the vehicle the rest of the way up through the less dense upper atmo.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant and fly
Orion is one strange looking launch system

iY5yPRIY-1440x939.jpeg

Uses deprecated peacekeeper icbm missile boosters to clear the hardest part of the launch, then discards them and a comparatively tiny booster carries the vehicle the rest of the way up through the less dense upper atmo.
I saw that this morning and thought the same thing.

@Domon @Valve1138 @Dharma1521

Something to do downtown?

We’re making plans to see it.

PBS American Experience is all about the space program this week, three 2-hr episodes.

My mommy let me stay home from school during all of the launches/missions. The moonshots, I’d miss the entire week or more.

Don’t hate mom. It wasn’t a great school anyway.

PBS American Experience is all about the space program this week, three 2-hr episodes.

My mommy let me stay home from school during all of the launches/missions. The moonshots, I’d miss the entire week or more.

It's cool that your mom recognized what a significant event it all was.

I've been watching these. They also re-aired Space Men the other night. Cool shit. I was negative 3 years old when the actual event happened so documentaries are as close as I can get.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
@Domon @Valve1138 @Dharma1521

Something to do downtown?

lol my husband brought it up last night, we're going to check it out.

I've been watching these. They also re-aired Space Men the other night. Cool shit. I was negative 3 years old when the actual event happened so documentaries are as close as I can get.

The doctor who was using himself as a text subject inspired awe in me. He didn’t want to be responsible for turning anyone else into a veg so he put himself there first.

That kind of dedication can’t be found these days it seems.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
The doctor who was using himself as a text subject inspired awe in me. He didn’t want to be responsible for turning anyone else into a veg so he put himself there first.

That kind of dedication can’t be found these days it seems.

Similar to the guy who made the polio vaccine injecting himself first.

Lady Montague was so determined to prevent the ravages of smallpox that she ordered the embassy surgeon, Charles Maitland, to inoculate her 5-year-old son. The inoculation procedure was performed in March 1718. They used cowpox - it was noticed that milkmaids rarely got the smallpox, which left nasty skin disfigurements.