Ontopic Mission to Uranus

man, im excited.

Need it to clear launch, then clear deployment a couple of days later. Those are the two big scary points

The Telescope Soon To Formerly Be Named James Webb has arrived and is being prepped for launch. Are ya ready?
That outrage seems a little silly. Yeah, the dude existed in an era that sucked for gay people. Thats all he did, exist. He wasnt an outright bigot, or championing hateful shit, he just existed. 90% of people in history would get cancelled by that logic.

That outrage seems a little silly. Yeah, the dude existed in an era that sucked for gay people. Thats all he did, exist. He wasnt an outright bigot, or championing hateful shit, he just existed. 90% of people in history would get cancelled by that logic.
Did more than exist, from what I've read. But yeah, I'm ok with NASA's investigation into it.

man, im excited.

Need it to clear launch, then clear deployment a couple of days later. Those are the two big scary points
IIRC, deployment is much longer than that.

edit: Just looked. It's actually 14 days. But as I type this, I assume you're probably referring to the sun shield.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
Planetary Defense test vehicle just went up.

Powered by ion thrusters, the 700-kg spacecraft aims to rendezvous with a double asteroid next October. Once there, the spacecraft will attempt to collide with Dimorphos, a small "moonlet" of a larger asteroid named Didymos. DART will strike Dimorphos at a rate a little greater than 6.6 km/s, aiming to slightly alter the trajectory of the asteroid, which measures approximately 170 meters across.

Deflecting a ~200M asteroid is no joke. The damage such an asteroid would do is very substantial

According to the Earth Impact Effects Program, at at energy level, if it impacted land, it would create a crater that was four miles wide and nearly two thousand feet deep. Any city within 30 miles of the blast would not only be hit by a massive blast of heat that would set most flammable objects on fire and cause third-degree burns on the human body, but the city would be exposed to an earthquake of magnitude 7.0 and suffer from a blast wave packing a force of 8 PSI or greater and winds of 250 mph, or greater. Cities that were sixty miles from the impact would suffer damage from the major earthquake, and they would also be hit by a blast packing winds of 80 mph, which would shatter glass windows but also damage roofs. The earthquakes and blast wave would damage cities and kill people up to 100 miles from the impact zone.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Josh
we were so obsessed with if we could... we never stopped to think if we should.
Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh and Domon