Ontopic Mission to Uranus

Different times and all that, but being a computer scientist (and what with Turing basically founding my field), I've been aware of and disgusted by it for a long time.
Yep, such bullshit. Man is a hero

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Can you just imagine this being your job

STS-116_spacewalk_1.jpg

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1742-5468/aad6be/meta

So, this is kinda really weird.
Prime numbers have long been thought to be random. Using certain analytical methods it turns out that there is a pattern. Even more surprising, that pattern seems to be extremely similar to the patterns of atoms within types of crystal matrices.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1742-5468/aad6be/meta

So, this is kinda really weird.
Prime numbers have long been thought to be random. Using certain analytical methods it turns out that there is a pattern. Even more surprising, that pattern seems to be extremely similar to the patterns of atoms within types of crystal matrices.
There's always been a pattern (mersenne primes). But this is a new one and has absolutely enormous implications that I'm not going to go into

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

ok, i need to pull down that paper from arxiv

This is a bold statement:

"We also identify a transition between ordered and disordered prime regimes that depends on the intervals studied. Our analysis leads to an algorithm that enables one to predict primes with high accuracy"

They can both predict primes in their ordered prime regime, and know where to find these ordered prime regimes.

Whats not stated is where these regimes exist, their periodicity, or what portion of relevant bitspaces they take up. Thats the part that could fuck everything if it was in the wrong place.

There's always been a pattern (mersenne primes). But this is a new one and has absolutely enormous implications that I'm not going to go into

Yeah, from what I remember, Riemann functions suggest a pattern but nothing distinct has been forthcoming. Big damn difference in "we believe there is a pattern here" and "so this pattern shares significant commonalities with crystalline structures"
Fuck if I know what is going to come of it, but it's interesting as hell

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon

I can't read the entire article as I'm not at work with the institutional login, but the abstract says that the research "leads to an algorithm that enables one to predict primes with high accuracy", not "leads to an algorithm that enables one to predict all primes with high accuracy."

Also, current cryptography really only relies on keys being relatively prime, not absolutely prime.

I can't read the entire article as I'm not at work with the institutional login, but the abstract says that the research "leads to an algorithm that enables one to predict primes with high accuracy", not "leads to an algorithm that enables one to predict all primes with high accuracy."

Also, current cryptography really only relies on keys being relatively prime, not absolutely prime.
What is 'relatively prime'?

What is 'relatively prime'?
Two integers are co-prime (or relatively prime) when there's no integer other than one that divides them both.

It just so happens that a convenient way to guarantee this is having two primes. However, RSA works on any two relatively prime pairs.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon